Author Topic: 750K clutch  (Read 1490 times)

Offline scooby

• View Profile
750K clutch
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:58:11 PM »
Hi Folks

Just stripped down the clutch on my 78 750K7 to renew it and found it didn't have a B friction plate on it. One came with the new clutch parts but doesn't seem to fit. Looking at the part number 22202-392-000 it appears to be the correct one. The tabs at the top of the plate are larger than the A friction plates. Am I missing something ?
Any help really appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 07:48:41 AM by scooby »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 750K clutch
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
If you look at the clutch outer basket the outer end of the grooves is wider than the rest of the groove and this is where the plate "B" goes.

It is possible to fit a standard plate there and it will work but chatters also i have seen the ears on the fiber plates wear that much.

The other possibility is that a completely different clutch assembly has been fitted by a previous owner

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »
Hi Scooby,
              What is the history of the bike, why are you working on the clutch, is the clutch that you took out original ? If it was original I would replace the parts that were in there only.
I'm no great expert in these matters but looking at the parts manuals the clutch seemed to have changed on the F1/K6 but early versions of these could have the earlier clutch.
This thread might help:
http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/clutch/cth1.htm

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline scooby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »
If you look at the clutch outer basket the outer end of the grooves is wider than the rest of the groove and this is where the plate "B" goes.

It is possible to fit a standard plate there and it will work but chatters also i have seen the ears on the fiber plates wear that much.

The other possibility is that a completely different clutch assembly has been fitted by a previous owner

Thanks Bryanj.
The bike has only done 24000 miles. It could be that the basket has been changed, not sure.

Offline scooby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:53:48 PM »
Hi Scooby,
              What is the history of the bike, why are you working on the clutch, is the clutch that you took out original ? If it was original I would replace the parts that were in there only.
I'm no great expert in these matters but looking at the parts manuals the clutch seemed to have changed on the F1/K6 but early versions of these could have the earlier clutch.
This thread might help:
http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/clutch/cth1.htm

Cheers

Den

Hi den.

When  bought the bike the guy gave me a new clutch for it that he got from david Silver and I just thought I would change it because it was well out before engaging. The new parts are all the same except the B friction plate which wasn't there when I stripped it.

I saw the link you suggested earlier and I see the B friction plate in one of the pictures.

It could well be that the basket has been changed but the bike has only done 24000 miles.

Sandy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal