Author Topic: RS Bike Paint Aerosols  (Read 1049 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
RS Bike Paint Aerosols
« on: August 19, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
Recently bought thre different colour aerosol paints for three of my 'tiddler' bike that don't warrant the expense of a pro respray.
Three different colours ...three different paint systems supplied !!  .. Metallic water based, metallic COB (clear over basecoat solvent) and cellulose.
All cans worked really well and good quality but on the second batch with a brand new can, the water based 'spluttered' droplets. I swapped the nozzle from another new can of the cellulose paint but the spray still spluttered to a small extent.

I contacted RS Bikepaints and they are sending me some new nozzles in the post  for free but told me that the nozzles for water based are different to the solvent based ones. They also told me to warm the can in hot water which may help. They also told me that you can simply wash off the water based basecoat in hot water if you want to remove it.

A check on their MDS sheets reveals that their basecoats are made by Lechler and their 2-pack clear coat is from a UK company.

They reckon that their 2-pack non-isocyanate clear coat, which is spray gun application only, is fully petrol resistant. Only the gloss version though is non-iso. Anyone tried it?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: RS Bike Paint Aerosols
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 07:55:01 AM »
Hi,

I used the 2K non-iso clear last spring on a full respray of my GL1000, up to now it is holding out great.

Be aware that as it is non-iso it takes a while to fully cure. I left it 7 days in good weather before I flatted and polished but I noticed that if I wasn't careful after going over with a DA polisher and compound if I buffed off straight away I would polish scratches into the clear so personally I would leave it to cure for at least 14 days before final polishing and getting petrol near it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal