Author Topic: Frames question  (Read 1566 times)

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Frames question
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »
Hi

I'm investigating frames for 650's as I need one for a project build. I don't want a custom look - just a standard UK bike (is that a Z model?).

Can anyone advise if the 79 / 80 / 81 bikes used the same frames on both the custom and standard model - or does the custom one have differences?

nb - I've looked at a lot of parts fiches for US ones and there are different part numbers, I'm just wondering what the differences actually are (if any) as pictures I've seen look pretty identical.

Be great if someone could post a sideways on picture of either/both of the frame types.

thanks
Andy
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
Re: Frames question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »
Not got any from the side, but here's few of my 1979 'Z'

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
Cheers Phil - I was comparing your resto picture to one that I found on ebay. The ebay one is pretty unclear although it appeared to have an odd attachment in the seat area.

I've now found a further piccie on the US site which shows the frame behind the tank / engine and also the shock mount.  Logically, the Custom frame continues downwards from the headstock and then rises back up with shock mounting points higher than the riders seat rails, and the pillion seatrails higher than the riders.  The odd

Yours levels out behind the engine / tank and runs horizontally to carry a European style seat...that's what I need so problem solved!

thanks.

andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »
Glad to help out, let me know if you need any specific pictures or measurements.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal