SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

OAP Ted's CB400F2 rebuild - engine not run for about 12 years.

<< < (95/95)

Oddjob:
You may find Ted that the 500 headlight won't fit on the 400 due to it's shape, you may need a 550 bowl instead and even that may not fit. The 500 bowl won't fit on the 550 for example due to the position of the ignition switch.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Oddjob on December 12, 2023, 05:24:27 PM ---You may find Ted that the 500 headlight won't fit on the 400 due to it's shape, you may need a 550 bowl instead and even that may not fit. The 500 bowl won't fit on the 550 for example due to the position of the ignition switch.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure you are correct Ken a 500 bowl will not fit in a standard 400 headlamp bracket mine is a bit of a mongrel arrangement as the original headlamp unit was scrap - badly damaged rim, rotted reflector & split bowl.

I retained the old 400 headlamp bracket to act as a brace for my current headlamp mounting arrangement. Presently it  is mounted on a pair of fork alloy  brackets that pushes the new mounting point forward quite a bit & lower by around 3/4" so plenty of room. I have checked it against my original black 500 bowl. All I will need to do is alter the spacers I fitted on the side mounting bolts. Undecided if I will use a chromed plastic headlamp bowl or the black one I have.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
With the mild weather as I'm stuck on the 500 until the wheels come back from CWS I've now replaced the fork oil & changed the headlamp bowl to the 500 type as it takes a standard 7" headlamp unit so lots of options for a decent lamp unit - for now it's a Land Rover Defender type.

Fork fluid changed will not know until I ride it in the spring if there is any difference but it should be a tad firmer as the right fork tube had very little oil in it.

I willl bob a photo of the new headlamp look on here later today or tomorrow.

Johnwebley:
Are you going for the H4 60/55 ?

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Johnwebley on December 21, 2023, 11:02:09 AM ---Are you going for the H4 60/55 ?

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

For now it's the full LED unit with Halo front sidelamp (5W) as a DTRL not a higher powered version unit that are available as an option mine is 60W/90W output 2400/3000 LM.

Yes the sink was put in about 10 years after all the mains sockets so the one above the sink is a risk but the garage has a consumer unit with RCB's etc.

400 lamp change 2 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

.400 lamp change by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version