Author Topic: Exhaust woes  (Read 532 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Exhaust woes
« on: August 30, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
So I was getting ready to reinstall my exhaust system - that's all I have left to do before finally trying to fire it up!

While cleaning up the collector end for the silencer, I discovered a hole just ahead of where the silencer clamp fits - here it is, lit up with a flashlight:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I'm not sure if this is repairable, the rest of the collector seems to be in pretty good shape, not too rusty inside.

I happen to have bought a spare header set awhile back; I wasn't looking since I thought mine was ok, but someone offered it at a good price, so I grabbed it.  It's got less surface rust on the pipes than mine, but it's got some impact damage, especially pipe #1 and the bottom of the collector.  The end of the collector is in much better shape, a lot less rust at the joint.

Actually, I was thinking I could take my good pipe #1 and switch it out with the damaged one, but I'm hesitant to start dismantling things since, while it appears the pipe gaskets are still available, the clamping hardware doesn't seem to be, and I'd hate to find myself with no working headers at all!

Here's my original headers - less road damage, but surface rust near the tops.  And that rust hole at the bottom, of course!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust woes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 04:17:52 PM »
And, here's the spare set - less overall surface rust, but the impact damage is visible.  And the chrome overall isn't quite as nice...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »
I'm inclined for the moment to just install the spare set - it's a bit bashed, but at least there's no holes!  Wondering if I should reuse that silencer gasket - the new silencer, with its slightly smaller opening, will shave it down a bit during the install...

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
Agree with you,  go with the secondary system ( with dents) to get it running and prevent delay.  Then asses original for competent repair.

The original collector "looks" repairable with a sympathetic welder.  It would need to have the peripheral rust removed to effect a better, longer lasting system. If you try to braze or weld to the corrosion (apart from spattering like mad as the rust goes over temp) the repair is usually released as the corrosion edges continue to erode. 

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 05:12:16 PM »
Thanks K2-K6!

Would you attempt to reuse that silencer gasket that's squished on there?  Or clean it off and try to fit a new one, which also doesn't really fit...?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
Think I'd try and fit with existing,  maybe a light cleanup with Emery cloth and give it a go with some graphite grease to see if you can persuade it on there as it will probably seal reasonably well with a tight-ish fit.

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
Your original will braze up quite easily by someone half decent at brazing. I have done far, far worse than that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal