Author Topic: front wheel hub done now rear  (Read 1649 times)

MIKE550/4

front wheel hub done now rear
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:33:47 AM »
hi all

well finally got the front wheel hub sorted and that is off to get spokes and rim laced and new tyre fitted ( dont trust myself on this one )

now questions on rear wheel , firstly... front wheel had to drill the indents out on retainer, is this the same on rear ? i e are these staked ( if so how big to drill and how deep to go )

pic attatched if you look closely you can see punch marks in the 4 holes ?
also is this a right hand thread ie turn right to unscrew

lastly brake linings look new but on drum very light surface rust has started to appear can i remove this rust myself or would it need any professional work done to it

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:57:22 PM by MIKE550/4 »

MIKE550/4

Re: front wheel hub done now rear
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
hi all

well the retainer is off, having real problems getting the bearings out, i understand the principal of moving the spacer aside to hitthe bearing out but its not happening for me,

also tried heating the hub  but no joy   

one side the bearings have came loose in their cage and are now sitting in a semi circle , also i think spacer the lugs have broke off so might need to source one 

need help on this one guys anyone ?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: front wheel hub done now rear
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
Hi, I've never had to tackle the rear bearings in spite of having a sidecar attatched for mutch of my milage so I'm not in the position of having job specific knowlege but if one of the bearings has started to collapse then I'd see if I could get it to fall completely appart so only the outer race remained to extract, then run a bead of weld round the remains with a mig which should, once cooled cause the outer race to contract and drop out. Perhaps weling a plate or some bit of scrap over the opening in the innner race (plug it with a bit of old bolt and some weld perhaps) could sort this out - assuming you have a welder. Using a sharp cold chisel or a half decent screwdriver, ( buy cheaper screwsrivers as chisels if they are on offer) the trick ften seems to be to get the side of the srewdriver/ chisel to catch the lip of the bearing. Screwdriver are good because they are genrally thinner and longer than chisels and hence easyer to get into position. putting a slight bend in the screwdriver like a pry bar ( about 15 deg) can help it catch the join between bearing and spacer.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal