Author Topic: Indicators  (Read 2237 times)

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
Indicators
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »
Hi, this ones got me wondering..

Can't get the indicators to work. No idea if they ever did, so what should I be checking to trace any faults?

The wire to the relay has 3 leads, but only 2 are used - that is the same as the manual shows. I've connected it the way it was when I stripped it down and nothing happens. Tried connecting the spare wire and as soon as the ignition is on you get a very rapid 'chattering' from the relay, and it does exactly the same if I just connect the relay across the battery, so that suggests the 'spare' wire (green in this case) is providing permanent 12v.

I would assume that when I switch the indicators on it should provide 12v to the relay but with a multimeter there is no voltage from the 2 leads that are feeding the relay, whatever way the switch is (left/right/off etc).

What checks can I make on either wiring or the relay?

(the indicators work when 12v is put through them so they are OK)

Thanks, Phil

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Indicators
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:33:43 AM »
You need to test all elements of the circuit / wiring.

I'm looking at a diagram that has Green/white; Green; white; wires in the area of the indicator relay.

Green  seems to end without being attached to anything.
Green/white looks like the feed. It comes from the fusebox and also goes to the rear brake switch.
White goes to the handlebar switch.

I would create a circuit with battery positive to to green and white at the relay. Then connect white out of the relay direct to an indicator to bypass your handlebar cluster. Then connect the other wire on that indicator to battery negative. That'll give you a circuit with relay and light. Make sure all the wires in this circuit have continuity before you test the relay.

This will if prove that the relay works.  nb If working it may flash very quickly as it is only feeding a single indicator.

Also check the handlebar switch for continuity across connections. From my diagram:
- White and orange should give continuity when the Left indicator is on and nothing when it is of.
- Pale blue and white should give continuity when Right is on but nothing when it is off.

If all of that is OK but it is not working in situ - then it points to a dodgy wire or earth in the circuit.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Indicators
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
First thing I always do is spray lots of wd40 into the switch and work the switch left and right lots of times in case the contacts are dirty
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:02:31 PM »
Thanks Guys, I'm going to have a play with it now,

Phil

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 08:17:08 AM »
It's good to go back to basics... opened up headlight and had one of those  ::) moments when I realised I hadn't actually connected it all up inside the headlight bowl.

That's what you get for concentrating on the back lights, thinking "I'll leave the front end alone". As I wasn't bothered about the front lights I had ignored the wiring in there and forgot to connect the main loom to handlebar loom so the back wasn't connected ...

BTW, with only a single light connected it stays on permanently, rather than flashes fast.

Phil

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »
That's normal.
Dave
Melbourne.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal