Author Topic: Rear Chain Sprocket fixing question on CB400F2?  (Read 797 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Rear Chain Sprocket fixing question on CB400F2?
« on: September 28, 2020, 03:14:24 PM »
For some reason when I bought my Honda the chain and rear sprocket were amongst a box of loose parts.
The sprocket shows signs of wear so I will fit a replacement - looking at where it fits I can see the output shaft from the gearbox has a sort of square/hex type spline to it but how does the gear attach to the shaft as its a narrow gear with a square/hex  type splined fitting.

The Haynes Manual shows a plate with a couple of screws that fit into the gear but what keeps it in position on the output shaft as the area seems quite wide is there some sort of end lock nut?

To fit a new gear do I have to remove the left had side plate thingy?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Chain Sprocket fixing question on CB400F2?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 03:27:39 PM »
The plate has a match to the shaft form "castellation" that you push on until it gets to a groove in the shaft,  that groove allows you to now rotate the plate about 20degree so it won't now float along the shaft.
The bolts now hold the plate in that orientation so that both it and the sprocket are prevented from sliding inward or outward.

It's very simple but effective and easily seen if you have all the components ready to assemble,  but a bit puzzling if the plate is missing.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 03:56:03 PM »
The plate has a match to the shaft form "castellation" that you push on until it gets to a groove in the shaft,  that groove allows you to now rotate the plate about 20degree so it won't now float along the shaft.
The bolts now hold the plate in that orientation so that both it and the sprocket are prevented from sliding inward or outward.

It's very simple but effective and easily seen if you have all the components ready to assemble,  but a bit puzzling if the plate is missing.

That makes sense - my plate is missing as are the screws - I have now looked on the DS website using a Honda Part Number - the plate is priced at  £2.20 plus VAT 23811-292-000 the bolts are also listed 92101060200B I think.

Am I right that I will need to remove the right hand side cover thingy to access the output shaft ?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 04:04:21 PM by Macabethiele »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »
Yes , remove cover by your left foot when sitting on bike and it's right there.

Don't know about other's,  but I do the bolts dry with a spot of blue lock tight to secure.  They're not concentric with shaft rotation so not likely to fidget out, but because they're hidden in use then better to make sure they stay there.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 05:56:32 PM »

Don't know about other's,  but I do the bolts dry with a spot of blue lock tight to secure.  They're not concentric with shaft rotation so not likely to fidget out, but because they're hidden in use then better to make sure they stay there.
I like that idea must get some Blue Locktight for stock not had any for decades now.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 01:27:53 PM »

I am about to order my output shaft drive sprockets from DS - there is a small conundrum they list two seperate length bolts for attaching the fixing plate to the sprocket - they say I need one of each one is this right ?
One is 0.6 a 12 the other is 0.6 x 20.
Any advice please as to the right ones ?

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:37:37 PM »
I have order two of each bolts so I'm covered.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 07:51:53 PM by Macabethiele »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal