Author Topic: Electronic ignition  (Read 898 times)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Electronic ignition
« on: September 28, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »
Hi all

Has anyone gone over to electronic ignition for a CB400f F2 and what was the cost please

I see DS does a kit has anybody used one or did they go an alternative route ie a Daytona or Dynatec unit from eBay

Also does the Dynatec unit work with standard coils or do you need to also buy the Dynatec coils too?

Many thanks in advance

Best wishes Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 08:39:27 PM by allankelly1 »

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Electronic ignition
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 08:42:33 PM »
Not fitted one to your bike.
But have a Boyer system on my 500.

Works very well.

Very happy with it

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »
Dynatec work OK with the OEM coils, although I changed mine to Dyna coils because the originals let me down in heavy rain.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 12:12:52 AM »
Hi Al,

I fitted the DS offering to my CB750 (£99); it was fine, but appeared to be lightly engineered / not particularly robust. After a (still unexplained) breakdown I took it off and sold it here (!) with a years unconditional guarantee which has never been claimed... so I guess it was ok.

Now I’m using the Boyer units (£140 each on the 750K2 & 400F2) and all appears well. These ignition systems appear to be well made, use the original coils, dispense with the mechanical advance / retard, and in the 400F, fits nicely attached to the battery strap / behind the side panel.

The Dynatec S appears to retail at roughly the same cost. They say the standard coils are ok, but recommend 5 ohm coils replace them. (more cost?). I understand it uses the original advance / retard.

Considerations:
(1) some systems (eg Hondaman I think) maintain use of the contact breakers and thereby give you roadside redundancy in that the electronic unit can quickly be disconnected and the ignition easily reverted to how Honda intended. There are a lot of fans out there due this feature...

(2) Some systems suggest different coils... personally this puts me off as the bracketry/ connectors all perhaps need modification - which down the track just makes life that much harder when adjacent or replacement parts are needed.

(3) some systems retain the mechanical advance / retard, others don’t. Personal preferences again, but if going full electronic my gut feeling is to go the whole hog.. and do away with potentially weak springs / binding cams etc.

(4) you probably want your electrics to be in good condition as these electronic ignitions will be more voltage dependant than simple breakers + capacitors.

I can’t tell you I particularly notice improved mpg or performance. What I do notice however is much improved starting - particularly on the ‘750.

Cheers.
Simon

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »
I fitted Dynatec with their coils - nice kit they supplied me with the bigger rotor f.o.c. It comes with leads as well. Enough to make a second set of leads with angled connectors. Fitting instructions were easy to follow. I've done the static timing method to get it going. I will use my timing light to tweak it later.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 07:50:28 PM by Macabethiele »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 07:12:49 PM »
Hi

Looks like it’s two for the Boyer system

I sent them a mail and they very quickly and kindly responded and I know they have been going for years

Cost for a complete system including their coils is £238 including post which I think I will go for as my coils look like they are original and really would rather change the complete ignition system as it make no sense upgrading from points and not replacing all

Many thanks for all the advice and will add to my build thread how I get on

Best wishes always Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »
I fitted the Boyer system with coils to my CR Rep and seem fine so far - my only complaint was the connections were a bit Heath Robinson (used scotch blocks from memory - which I changed to standard bullets). I made contact with Boyer when setting up the Smiths electronic rev counter (as the pulse is different or something and messed up the signal to the rev counter) and they were very helpful.
I went Boyer as its been around a long time and I did about 30,000 trouble free miles on my Z1 fitted with Boyer in the 70's.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »
The advantage with the Dynatec is, unlike the Boyer (unless it's been changed) it doesn't need a circuit box.  The pickups are connected directly to the coils.  The only mod that needs to be done is to run a positive from the coils (black/white) to the points plate along side the yellow and blue wires.   I used grey coloured 3 core.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 09:19:40 PM »
The advantage with the Dynatec is, unlike the Boyer (unless it's been changed) it doesn't need a circuit box.  The pickups are connected directly to the coils.  The only mod that needs to be done is to run a positive from the coils (black/white) to the points plate along side the yellow and blue wires.   I used grey coloured 3 core.

I used the rear brake lamp switch power for mine until I rewire it - also dead handy connection wise as it's in the same cluster as the wires to the coil. I don't know the cost of the Boyer - my Dynatek with coils &  plug leads with two rotors included was £355 - my Brother in Law recommended it tbh I didn't shop around much so it might be available cheaper mine came from a UK Suzuki dealer via e-bay.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:22:52 PM by Macabethiele »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »
I fitted the Boyer system too. The one that uses the OEM coils. Excellent system.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal