Author Topic: New Stealth Law by our (s)mothering government  (Read 4087 times)

rhos1355

New Stealth Law by our (s)mothering government
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:14:30 PM »
Guys (& ladies, of course),

Have you heard about the new proposal to limit the bhp on our bikes to 100 bhp (as the French have done)? Yet again our cotton wool everything legislators want to tell us how to live our lives and how to have our fun. The only chance we have of stopping this is by finding as many people to petition no. 10 downing street, which may, or may not reverse this trend. Here's where to put your names down.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/100bhplimits/

unfortunately their tactics have worked so well that few people have heard about this thus so far only about 650 have signed, and we only have up to the 27th of this month before the petition is handed in. So spread it around.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: New Stealth Law by our (s)mothering government
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:30:41 PM »
Guys (& ladies, of course),

Have you heard about the new proposal to limit the bhp on our bikes to 100 bhp (as the French have done)? Yet again our cotton wool everything legislators want to tell us how to live our lives and how to have our fun. The only chance we have of stopping this is by finding as many people to petition no. 10 downing street, which may, or may not reverse this trend. Here's where to put your names down.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/100bhplimits/

unfortunately their tactics have worked so well that few people have heard about this thus so far only about 650 have signed, and we only have up to the 27th of this month before the petition is handed in. So spread it around.

If I thought I could get that sort of power out of any of my bikes I

rhos1355

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
Doesn't matter, at least you can make your own mind up what you want and not some namby-pamby do-gooder in whitehall.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
I have to agre with rhos, it's a pain in the arse how motorcyclist get persecuted more that car drivers, lets face it a 17 year old with with a fat loanfrom daddy could,in theory by a 200BHP car and be blatting thru a 30 limit ,on his mobile, with his music making everyone else's ears bleed, half stoned.

We should all be persecuted the same, this is a democracy after all.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »
The other problem is that once a limit on bhp is enshrined in law it can be lowered to ridiculous levels, 100 bhp may sound reasonable but what is to stop the next transport minister dropping it to 20 bhp ?

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

rhos1355

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:21:09 AM »
I rode down to Brighton the day before yesterday to see the 10,000 or so bikes on the Ace Cafe run and spoke to a few blokes and just mentioned this new law, the most shocking thing about it is that those that knew didn't really give a shyte and the rest just didn't know about it. Is this what 12 years of Blair/Brown done to us?? Some Wally in whitehall decides he's going to impose a crap piece of legislation and the vast majority just shrug their shoulders and mutter "What the Fcuk"??

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
Ive added my name to the petition coz i'm fed up of being told what to do and when to do it >:(, ive never got on with authority of any kind and never will  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline lordmoonpie

• If he's not in action, he's in traction...
    • View Profile
    • Moonpie
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
Anyone remember Martin Bangemann in the European Idiothouse trying to do this in the 90s? There was tons of research done by MAG and BMF to prove that limiting the power was the wrong answer on many levels. What happened to this in the end? Does anyone know if MAG or BMF got involved?
Beware of those who fall at your feet - they may be reaching for the corner of the rug...

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 11:03:18 AM »
Official responce from No 10

Monday 19 October 2009
100bhplimits - epetition response

We received a petition asking:

Offline lordmoonpie

• If he's not in action, he's in traction...
    • View Profile
    • Moonpie
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 12:04:17 PM »
A surprising victory for common sense yet again.... ;)
Beware of those who fall at your feet - they may be reaching for the corner of the rug...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal