Author Topic: 750 F1 master cylinder seals  (Read 1791 times)

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
750 F1 master cylinder seals
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:32 PM »
I'm using a master cyl off a 750F1 on my 650. Need to replace the seals, but only have a manual for my 650 - can someone point me towards a diagram/instruction for replacing the seals on the F1, please?

many thanks, Phil

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 750 F1 master cylinder seals
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »
Hi Phil, will scan a diagram for you later but the stripdown is very simple.
Remove the master cylinder.
Remove the brake lever.
Where the removed brake lever sat you will see the end of the brake piston.
Holding the rubber boot on is a simple circlip, remove this. I usually use a very small screwdriver for this.
With the rubber boot removed you will see a circlip, this seats in a groove in the bore of the master cylinder and holds the piston in.
To remove this you will need some circlip liers with long thin ends to slot into the holes in the ends of the circlip, when fitted compress the circlip and remove.
That's all there is to it, apart from the crusty dried up brake fluid that will be bunging everything up !

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:17:03 AM by Spitfire »
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
Brilliant, thanks for that.

Phil

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but......

I've got what appears to be exactly the same master cylinder & a set of brake lines for a twin disc set-up in my box of spares, so 2x questions:

1. Does this M/cylinder work well with twin discs?  Why aren't you running the standard one - which I assume has a larger piston.

2. Mine is a mix of black paint and a red/purple. The paint has stripped off but the purple hasn't - although it seems to sand down. Is this an anodised finish? Just curious!

Thanks.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:59:51 PM »
The F1 master cylinder works well with a single disc, the F2 (twin discs) master cylinder looks slightly different it has a larger fluid capacity (bigger pot) but I don't know if the piston size is different.
I can't say how well the F1 MC would cope with twin discs, I think a standard MC was used with twin disc conversions on early bikes so it may be OK. It strips down just the same as all the others.

I always assumed that the MC's were anodised straight from the factory and this finish fades with time.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but......

I've got what appears to be exactly the same master cylinder & a set of brake lines for a twin disc set-up in my box of spares, so 2x questions:

1. Does this M/cylinder work well with twin discs?  Why aren't you running the standard one - which I assume has a larger piston.

2. Mine is a mix of black paint and a red/purple. The paint has stripped off but the purple hasn't - although it seems to sand down. Is this an anodised finish? Just curious!

Thanks.

Twin discs - hope so as that's what I have.

Why not a 650 one? Mine was rotten, couldn't find a 650 one, this came up on this forum and I'm giving it a go. Hope it works!

Mine is a mix of aluminium and black (lower half). Not sure how it's finished but I don't think it's paint.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal