Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Cleaning tips

<< < (3/5) > >>

Charlie J:
Many moons ago I used both trichloroethylene and methylene chloride (dichloromethane) as heavy duty solvents in the laboratory testing of bituminous materials. In the early days the stuff was splashed around everywhere but in latter years its use was strictly controlled within fume cupboards and the labs fitted with Draeger meters to measure the concentration in the atmosphere. I believe both solvents are now classified as carcinogens. Nasty stuff if not handled properly but great for parts cleaning, paint stripping etc.

Charlie

Charlie J:
Just another point in degreasers. I soaked a sump pan overnight in Screwfix No Nonsense degreaser. The aluminium turned black and it took a lot of sanding to get back to its original colour. I won’t make that mistake again.

Charlie

mike the bike:
RS used to sell cans of 111 Trichloroethane.  I used to to find faults on PCBs by dribbling Trich on the tops of the ICs and seeing which one evaporated first.  That would often be the faulty one.
It saved me an awful lot of time.

Oggie400F:

--- Quote from: Laverda Dave on October 02, 2020, 10:13:27 AM ---I use Safety Clean parts cleaning fluid in mine (a mate got me a couple of gallons years ago).

--- End quote ---

When you say “Safety Clean” what exactly do you mean?
The only stuff I can find is Safety Kleen.

Do you know of a reputable parts washer fluid that works well and doesn’t degrade or discolour alloy/aluminium components?

Cheers. Ian

Trigger:
I still have a safety Kleen parts wash. You can not get hold of the original cleaning fluid for the past 15 years now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version