Author Topic: Front brake: Reverse bleeding  (Read 4051 times)

Offline internix

• View Profile
Front brake: Reverse bleeding
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:43:56 AM »
I recently had to replace the piston assembly in the brake master cylinder as the old one was leaking. After re-assembly I filled the master cylinder with brake fluid and started to bleed the system in the normal way. However, there was so much air in the system that I was unable to get the brake fluid to pump at all. The fluid level frustratingly refused to drop. So after much head scratching I hunted around my garage and found an old veterinary hypodermic syringe (which I used to use for injecting wallpaper paste into "bubbles" before smoothing). I attached a piece of rubber tube to the end where the needle would usually fit, filled it up with brake fluid then attached the other end of the tube to the bleed nipple on the caliper. Cracked open the nipple half a turn and pumped the contents of the syringe into the system. Hey presto! Big stream of bubbles out of the master cylinder and normal lever pressure was restored. I then bled the system in the usual manner. I would think that you could substitute the hypo syringe for anything similar such as a small (clean!) grease gun or oil syringe or maybe even a windscreen washer pump. I`m sure I`m not the first person to come up against this problem so hopefully my experience will be useful to others.

Nick 

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Front brake: Reverse bleeding
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:49:31 AM »
That's a good description Nick.

If you have the bike in bits, another way is to hook the caliper to the garage ceiling so that all the pipework is above the master cylinder and then bleed in the normal way.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:23:36 PM »
Gave this a go this morning. Replaced a hose, so I got a syringe, sucked fluid up into it through a short length of plastic tube, pushed the tube onto the bleed nipple, opened it up, and pushed the fluid through the bleed nipple and up into the master cyl - so fast, the job was done in a few minutes. Top tip,

Phil

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:16:36 PM »
It also helps to wrap a bit of PTFE tape around the threaded part of the bleed nipple.

A)It stops the nipple from seizing in the caliper.
B)It stops air from entering the system during back bleeding.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »
This is a great technique. Filled my front brake from empty this way. In this case if you draw back on the syringe as you go then lots of air comes out of the caliper. Once there is a reasonable amount in the reservoir I worked the lever gently and remaining air in the master cylinder bubbles up. When that's all gone pumping the lever (gently) pushes the syringe back out and you can move the fluid to and fro until there are no more bubbles to be seen. If the system is already full then bleed this way too.

Simple, quick, economical on fluid and very little mess.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:45:00 PM by tom400f »
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal