Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 1416 times)

Offline internix

• View Profile
Hi everyone!
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:22:03 AM »
I think I`m probably doing this slightly a*se backwards as I`ve already posted to the site a few times. Better late than never eh? Back in 1976 I bought a CB550 F1 brand new....loved the bike and always regretted trading it in a couple of years later for a CB750 F2 which although faster, felt like a bit of a carthorse in comparison. Always thought I might like to get another 550 one day, so started looking in earnest a few months ago. I bought my 1977 Honda CB550 F2 from ebay earlier this summer. I`d looked at a few others and discounted them for various reasons. A couple were VERY nice...but correspondingly...VERY expensive. Two others were cheap but really ratty. The one I bought was somewhere in the middle. The original paintwork and frame were in good condition, the engine ran..albeit a bit rough...and everything else was rusty and needed cleaning up or replacing. I rebuilt the wheels with new rims and spokes...never done it before and was a bit wary, but found that it`s one of those jobs which if approached logically and systematically is actually quite straightforward. New wheel bearings, front brake caliper and master cylinder stripped and service kit fitted, carbs stripped and cleaned, forks fitted with new springs and seals etc etc. I think the bike is pretty much finished now although I would like to get her running a little bit smoother on tickover. It`s all a matter of using the bike and fine tuning as i go along I guess. This site has been enormously helpful to me and I`d like to say thanks for the advice I`ve been given when I`ve been stuck!

I`ve posted a video of my bike on youtube if anyone wants to see the fruits of my labours. here`s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K11_mMlR38k

Cheers

Nick

Ashford, Kent

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »
Hi Nick, welcome. Good video, bike looks goood

Phil

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »
What a nice-looking bike! well done! If I can make my 400/4 look like that next year, then Ill be well-pleased.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal