Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Wheel buiding the easier way

<< < (2/3) > >>

Orcade-Ian:
I agree with Bryan - definitely the easiest way and I also gave up using a DTI, which might be OK on DIDs and alloys but useless on some rims of questionable quality.  I made my own rig from wood with bearings on the top to support my own adjustable dummy spindle.  I just screw a piece of inch by two near to the rim so I can set the offset and check run out.  Bryan, I think you might mean 18 each side for the 350/400 but that's only me being a pedant.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I've just finished the easiest wheel I've ever tackled - a 1958 Triumph 'Twenty One' - all straight spokes fitted one by one from inside the full width front hub - with a strange 2x2 spoke arrangement.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ian

Johnny4428:
Here’s my effort, nothing fancy just a twenty odd quid wheel balancing stand with an adjustable pointy thing fitted. Yes Ian good weather today for wheel building.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I have to really admire the skill of the members here who lace their own wheels. When riding at say 70 mph I would have that little bit of my brain thinking - did I tighten them all properly? It's the same part of my brain that holds all my what if fears in check - well mostly anyways.

That said I personally draw the line at some DIY skills - I don't weave my own Wicker Baskets or spin my own Cotton - I will buy the skill of wheel building - nay the Art Form that is wheel building when needed from the likes of Central Wheel Components.

As a result of the various posts here on wheel building I have tried to convince my younger brother (62) that he should build his own bike wheels so far without success.

philward:

--- Quote from: Macabethiele on November 05, 2020, 08:00:27 AM ---I have to really admire the skill of the members here who lace their own wheels. When riding at say 70 mph I would have that little bit of my brain thinking - did I tighten them all properly? It's the same part of my brain that holds all my what if fears in check - well mostly anyways.

That said I personally draw the line at some DIY skills - I don't weave my own Wicker Baskets or spin my own Cotton - I will buy the skill of wheel building - nay the Art Form that is wheel building when needed from the likes of Central Wheel Components.

As a result of the various posts here on wheel building I have tried to convince my younger brother (62) that he should build his own bike wheels so far without success.

--- End quote ---

You don't hold the same thoughts in that part of your brain for your brother then Mac! ('When riding at say 70 mph I would have that little bit of my brain thinking - did I tighten them all properly? It's the same part of my brain that holds all my what if fears in check - well mostly anyways.)

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Macabethiele on November 05, 2020, 08:00:27 AM ---I have to really admire the skill of the members here who lace their own wheels. When riding at say 70 mph I would have that little bit of my brain thinking - did I tighten them all properly? It's the same part of my brain that holds all my what if fears in check - well mostly anyways.

--- End quote ---

I was reluctant too but followed advice given by Bryan on here and my friends Chris Rushton (Honda-san) and Mick Taylor (kettle738) and it's not a daunting as it sounds. I was rebuilding my 750K0 wheels in my dining room while my daughter was watching some rubbish on TV and she shouted what's that tinging and tonging noise.. and that's a bit of good advice .. when you tap your spokes (I did it with the spoke spanner) aim for the same 'ting' sound from the spokes .. if its a 'tong'  it's not tight enough.

Also get yourself a decent spoke spanner .. I got a NOS genuine Honda one .. very sturdy and well worth the money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version