Other Stuff > Misc / Open

"Cafe Racers"

<< < (5/5)

Menno:
I am a bit too young to remember the 70's but one of my best friends told me that he remembers rows and rows of 350 fours (mostly green) parked on the street.
Almost everyone would run to the shops to change the look of their bikes enough to make it 'special'. To have it stand out just a bit.
Original was boring and a different mirror or a white dirt flap on the back could already make enough difference.
However, if you were handy enough the four in fours were tossed because those make your bike look antique.
4 in one was the way to go. Making your bike up-to-date again.
A race seat was easy enough and racer looking steering bars almost a must.

Only old people (above 40 or so) would leave their bikes original.
Honda even had a complete series repainted in flashy 70's paint special for the Dutch market.
I have to say - this was in the Netherlands in the '70s...

I wouldn't buy a readily altered cafe although nowadays some really beautiful cafe's are being built.
Still, I think a front fender is a must to drive properly.

If you build a cafe just for yourself. It should be ridable - but you don't have to - and never sell it.
That can be really fun. And a bit strange as well, knowing this will never be turned back into an original...
It is comforting to know that sooooo many original bikes are being restored back to factory standard and I contribute to that actively, that I can 'destroy' one without feeling really guilty.. ;D

Kelly E:
I just finished building my 74' CB550 K0. I got it as a $500 roller with the motor on the floor and the top end in pieces. I wanted it to look more like a 70's build than current styles. I ain't riding on no ironing board. Most of the changes were for ride quality not style. In the front end I did tapered roller bearings in the steering head, Progressive springs and a Tarozzi fork brace. In the rear I did needle bearings in the swingarm and Hagon shocks. I also did the seat mods on the stock seat pan so it still uses the stock hinge and lock. I am still undecided about the exhaust. It came with the bike new in the box. Overall I am happy with the results.

K2-K6:
Welcome to the forum Kelly E.

Nice bike and modifications there,  the other two also look interesting,  plus all the space as we have much less to play with here  :)

Kelly E:

--- Quote from: K2-K6 on November 24, 2020, 03:28:17 PM ---Welcome to the forum Kelly E.

Nice bike and modifications there,  the other two also look interesting,  plus all the space as we have much less to play with here  :)

--- End quote ---

Thanks, then I won't tell you about my 1400sqft shop on 5 acres. 8)
The other two are the 79'750F that we finished this summer and the 90' Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version