Author Topic: SORN MOT and Rod Tax  (Read 1597 times)

Offline alfiembra

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
SORN MOT and Rod Tax
« on: November 12, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
Have tried to find information but not had any luck so far.

I have a bike that is currently taxed and insured until next June but the MoT has run out. It needs work and won’t get used until next spring so I won’t be renewing nor would it pass an mot at this time. Do I have to declare it Sorned because it has no MOT? If I do then I presume the road tax becomes null and void but I guess that because it’s only £20 I doubt there would be any refund. However if I got the bike back on the road early next year and I didn’t declare it sorned then the road tax would still be valid. It’s only a few quid I know but seems a waste to have to retax it next year.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: SORN MOT and Rod Tax
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 01:06:25 PM »
What year is the bike?

If it over 40 years. Change taxation class to historic.

No MOT required for it.

Otherwise suggest surrendering the tax and SORN it.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 01:36:17 PM »
If a vehicle IS taxed it MUST be insured under the continuous insurance rule, for example if you cancel your insurance but don't SORN it you will get a letter from the DVLA and possible a fine attached to it. (Been there £80).

If you do SORN it DVLA will return any full months of TAX back to you.

You don't have to SORN it "because" because it has no MOT, you just HAVE to have all three to use it. (not withstanding classic declarations of course)

If you SORN a vehicle and the MOT expires, you won't be able to tax it again until you get an MOT and you can't tax a vehicle with less that 30 days MOT on it.

DVLA are getting more clever as they begin to ramp up the computer automation, I've Taxed a vehicle within minutes of getting insurances' and MOTs

Me, I'd leave the TAX it, keep the insurance going and get it MOTd at my leisure.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 01:54:55 PM »
If its registered as Historic, you obviously don't need an MOT. If the bike has had its 40th Birthday but not yet 41 years old and therefore not entitled to Historic status, you still don't need an MOT. But, as you say the bike isn't road worthy , it can't be ridden regardless of its age and status. If you SORN it now, and get a refund of unused road fund licence, if it is eligible for no MOT status when it's road worthy and you want to put it back on the road, you just have to tax it (either FOC if registered as Historic, or pay if its not. It will not require an MOT. SORN covers insurance and road tax, not MOT on its own.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 01:57:26 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »
I sent the logbook for my 1974 Z1 back to Swansea with the form to change it to the Historic Class, via my local Post Office.

DVLA sent me the unprocessed paperwork back, with a letter telling me to complete the enclosed application to tax it (at zero rate). I've sent it back completed but not heard anything else yet. I am concerned that they won't actually tax it as it won't be insured until it is a complete motorcycle. Its currently SORN and not historic so its all a bit chicken and egg. Obviously there's no MOT as it's (a) exempt once they process the paperwork and (b) in bits.

Bureaucracy at its best, if it all comes back again I'll just leave it SORN and taxable until I have a finished motorcycle to worry about.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »
I sent the logbook for my 1974 Z1 back to Swansea with the form to change it to the Historic Class, via my local Post Office.

DVLA sent me the unprocessed paperwork back, with a letter telling me to complete the enclosed application to tax it (at zero rate). I've sent it back completed but not heard anything else yet. I am concerned that they won't actually tax it as it won't be insured until it is a complete motorcycle. Its currently SORN and not historic so its all a bit chicken and egg. Obviously there's no MOT as it's (a) exempt once they process the paperwork and (b) in bits.

Bureaucracy at its best, if it all comes back again I'll just leave it SORN and taxable until I have a finished motorcycle to worry about.
The bike doesn't have to be insured to complete the process of changing it to Historic Dave(unless you live in Northern Ireland which I know you don't) But, because they give you a years Road Fund Licence (free of charge) when you register it as Historic, you either have to SORN it on line, or insure it ASAP, or that's when the MIB send you the nastly letter threating £1000 fine. I have had 1 nastly letter where I forgot to SORN a bike after changing to Historic, so not bad out of 11 bikes changed to Historic.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »
If a vehicle IS taxed it MUST be insured under the continuous insurance rule, for example if you cancel your insurance but don't SORN it you will get a letter from the DVLA and possible a fine attached to it. (Been there £80).
I think this could use clarification....just because we do not PAY tax, we still have 'tax' them ( historic vehicles) as in going on line once a year and doing that form each year, so where do we sand if insurance isn't renewed?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 03:05:48 PM »
I think this could use clarification....just because we do not PAY tax, we still have 'tax' them ( historic vehicles) as in going on line once a year and doing that form each year, so where do we sand if insurance isn't renewed?
Legally, its still taxed annually although free of charge, so it must be insured or SORN. Its quite straightforward really, if its taxed for road use, it must be insured for road use, if there is no tax or no insurance it must be SORN.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:08:00 PM by Nurse Julie »

Offline alfiembra

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 04:26:15 PM »
The bike is 1983 so not quite historic status yet.

Thanks for the replies I’ll just leave things as they are and mot it next year once it’s all sorted. Just running issues rather than mot fail problems.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 04:31:16 PM »

The bike doesn't have to be insured to complete the process of changing it to Historic Dave(unless you live in Northern Ireland which I know you don't) But, because they give you a years Road Fund Licence (free of charge) when you register it as Historic, you either have to SORN it on line, or insure it ASAP, or that's when the MIB send you the nastly letter threating £1000 fine. I have had 1 nastly letter where I forgot to SORN a bike after changing to Historic, so not bad out of 11 bikes changed to Historic.

My V5 was returned about 8 weeks ago after applying for Historic Class from DVLA who advised me I cannot change the taxation class until it has been taxed for which I need insurance cover. This contradicts the online advice you quote - I'll wait until next year when I take out insurance not sure if Bennetts will insure a bike that's in pieces!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 04:59:12 PM »
My V5 was returned about 8 weeks ago after applying for Historic Class from DVLA who advised me I cannot change the taxation class until it has been taxed for which I need insurance cover. This contradicts the online advice you quote - I'll wait until next year when I take out insurance not sure if Bennetts will insure a bike that's in pieces!
Footman James operate an off road/restoration policy (SORN or not) so pretty sure other companies will do so too, worth a call to Bennetts.
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
My Z1 logbook has come back changed to Historic, and a letter to say my bike is now taxed.

As my project is still in bits and not insured, can I now expect a threatening letter? If so I’ll SORN it, but at least it’s now in the correct class.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 11:21:10 PM »
If you do get a letter blame dvla as they taxed it without insurance

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 08:38:17 AM »
My Z1 logbook has come back changed to Historic, and a letter to say my bike is now taxed.

As my project is still in bits and not insured, can I now expect a threatening letter? If so I’ll SORN it, but at least it’s now in the correct class.
Yes Dave. Just go online and SORN it.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:58:02 AM »
On writing to change mine to historic, it triggered a return letter enclosing my request to inform me to insure it, MOT it, then take everything to the post office to tax it, and they would declare it tax and MOT exempt, that was last year!
nice bike,nothing in the bank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal