SOHC.co.uk Forums > Recommended Sources for Parts and Services

Top yoke weld

(1/4) > >>

nairb:
As can be seen in the pic below the top yoke has snapped some time in the past.  Only found out when taking the front off to check the head bearings. 

So the question is....... can these be welded.  And if so who is a good place to send it to

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Thanks
nairb

SumpMagnet:
I suppose anything can be welded....the question is...whether it's safe afterwards.

I would try and find a replacement before welding a busted yoke. Thats a pretty high stress location, and not something I would feel comfortable about failing under load.

Trigger:
Can be done but, there is a big risk that it will distort from the heat  ;)

JezzaPeach:
Yes if it’s a poor casting maybe it could break elsewhere.
Which bike is it from?

Tomb:
I've welded them, Make a piece of bar the same diameter as the forks, cut it away where your weld will be and clamp it together with a washer in the gap, a washer the correct thickness that holds the broken edges as near as you can get them, Deep weld preps are needed, V it out lots for massive depth penetration.

As far as risk of rebreaking, well yes there is always that risk, but it broke in the first place so that risk was always there. And if it does break, the result will not be catastrophic as the pinch bolt will still hold everything together. (spoken like a true Risk Assessor)

I ride a large '78 tourer with a weld repaired top yoke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version