SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Carb Rebuild - to do myself or send away?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Athame57:

Adding to the answers here. When I first pulled my carbs apart after an early fuel starvation problem I found cobwebs between them and fluff inside them! I did break one of the butterfly springs because I had not returned it properly when I went to put the bowl back on, DSS got a used one for me for £5.oo so look out for that. The tops and the bowls of the carbs are receptive to autosol and come up nice and shiny, the rest of the carb exteriors I used Frosts to clean up and it rejuvenated them very effectively. Then I used carb cleaning spray to finish the job. Eventually I found it made life easier to replace the very aged and hardened  Air box to Carburetor rubbers  too.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Sorry I also meant to post this link it was more detailed even though my carbs were slightly different it was detailed enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFTOfYl5BSc

AshimotoK0:
Definitely have a go yourself but beware that ultrasonic cleaning isn't the 'cure-all' for carbs that's often spouted about.... particularly if they have had water ingress and they are internally corroded. I have a 40 litre industrial one and even that won't remove water ingress corrosion.

Even the top guy at pro-refurbs,  painted the alloy connecting bar on mine, which I think is wrong and on mine, which admittedly, were done quite a while ago, they  had some slightly dodgy looking screws and pattern jets/etc fitted of unknown origin. I think he fits Keihin ones now though. If you are re-zincing anything steel, then yellow chromate passivate is correct for original factory finish.

If your jets etc. are original and Keihin and look reasonable my two-pence worth is to clean and check them and reuse them.

As Julie says .. buy her Viton 'Seal'  ;D ;D ;D ;D kits and also the screws she sells, if she has them in stock, as the screws are the correct original style, unlike some of mine were on the refurbed set I bought..

If you do misplace any small parts in the process,  I do have a few bits. I remember losing one of the shaft springs down the sink in 1986 when I 1st rebuilt a set  :-[ :-[

MrDavo:
I used heat to get a stuck float pin out on my CL450. It worked fine, allowing me to drift out the pin with a fine drill.

Then I noticed that the float had fallen apart, as the solder melted! >:( :)

Johnny4428:
I had a couple of stuck float pins on mine, I tapped out with small drift but very careful to support pillars when tapping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version