SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

84' Vf1000F Interceptor

(1/4) > >>

Kelly E:
Right now while we are waiting for a few things for the 550 we put the Interceptor 1000 up on the table for it's resurrection. We got it this summer for $1100. It has been sitting since 09' in a heated building. The bike only has 14k miles on it and it still feels like we stole it.;D 

We have to do the usual stuff to put it back on the road like brakes, brake and clutch lines, carbs, tires, wheel bearings, new battery, straiten the brake and clutch levers, clean and lube the cables, fork oil change, clean and lube the shock linkage and steering bearings, chain and sprockets, oil change, valves and a seat cover. I'm really looking forward to riding this one. I had one of the first Honda V45 Sabre's in the country in May of 82'. I love the V4 powerband. The power comes on earlier than an inline 4 and keeps coming. The VF1000F is rated at 113hp, I think it is our most powerful bike. I only weigh 130lbs or 60 kilos I think so bikes go faster when I ride them. ;D

So far we have removed, rebuilt and replaced the carbs and today I pulled all three calipers off and apart. I also got the calipers all cleaned and ready to rebuild but still need the new slide collars. I think we will finish this bike in a month or two depending on getting the parts.

cooleronthecoast:
I had a VF1000R a couple of years back.  A rose tinted glasses purchase I will admit.  The bike was amazing, powerful and the quality of fit and finish was also really good, but like yourself I'm quite a small chap and the VF is a big heavy bike.  I had a long stretch over the tank to reach the bars and I didn't gel with it so I sold it less than a year later.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Lynx:
Enjoy! I had a VF1000FE back in about 1987. It was heavy and I dropped it once. Took 2 of us to pick it up again. The engine was awesome though. Never experienced anything like it since. Any gear any revs. Just open the throttle and woosh! Great for overtaking quickly.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Kelly E:

--- Quote from: cooleronthecoast on December 02, 2020, 09:38:36 AM ---I had a VF1000R a couple of years back.  A rose tinted glasses purchase I will admit.  The bike was amazing, powerful and the quality of fit and finish was also really good, but like yourself I'm quite a small chap and the VF is a big heavy bike.  I had a long stretch over the tank to reach the bars and I didn't gel with it so I sold it less than a year later.

(Attachment Link)

--- End quote ---

I am used to riding big heavy bikes. The 94' Kawasaki Concours that I tour on weighs 700lbs and I can barely touch the ground without my logging boots on. With the Shouldabeen Eng. torque cams, fork brace and ZZR1200 rear shock it is a beast that once rolling it thinks it's a Ninja.;D  The VF1000F is lighter than the Concours and the seat seems to be a little bit lower. I'm 5' 5" now but I used to be 5' 7" before all of the back injuries so my arms and legs are just barely long enough to ride the big bikes. I just don't try to pick them up alone. 8) I can't wait to take this bike over Hwy. 20, the North Cascades Highway. It is the most scenic road in the state and a great road to ride on, especially on weekdays when there is way less tourists. Since the road doesn't go to anywhere but some small towns it doesn't get too much traffic. Here's the Concours at the park at the base of Grand Coulee Dam. One of the places we ride to on Hwy. 20.

Kelly E:
Today after cleaning all of the caliper parts we discovered 4 out of 6 pistons were starting to pit so we ordered 6 new stainless pistons from Brakecrafers.com, might as well replace them all. All 3 caliper pivot collars were toast and we found evidence that the chain wasn't lubed much.  We got the mufflers off with ease which is not what I am used to. Now we can take apart the shock linkage to clean the old grease out and hopefully just re-grease with 40% moly grease. Also still have the tedious job of unplugging every connector cleaning, dielectric grease and reconnect every connector.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version