Author Topic: Bike Cameras  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Bike Cameras
« on: December 06, 2020, 11:28:16 PM »
Over on ‘my’ Griso forum this topic is in swing; predominantly the poster was looking for space to mount the main electronics unit.
...which was news to me as I assumed they were always self contained helmet  mounted jobbies.
So, I see that they are now fairly high tech, and typically with both forward and aft looking cameras. Questions:
1: do such systems typically record both fwd & aft channels at the same time? And if not do you then have some ‘bars mounted switch?
2: is the repeater unit (typically a 3” display) necessary to the system? (don’t reckon I’d want it)

All thoughts / recommendations welcome; I’ve never considered one before; but on Fri some idiot swapped lanes too closely on the m’way and whilst it won’t save my life it could be useful in ‘scrapes’.
Ta.

Online taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »
I've been looking for a motorcycle ' dashcam' that just operates and records like the one I have in in the car.

I have a Gopro copy to use on the bike, but the battery life is too short. I have 2 batteries which last less than an hour each. If I use the waterproof case I can't connect the power lead to the bike battery. I mount the camera on the bike, most helmet mounted cameras look clumsy.
The best one I've seen is the Drift Ghost X. It's waterproof, slimline bullet style and connects to the bike battery. You could fit and forget except if you leave the bike unattended any time. It just records the front view but rear view add ons may be available.
The car type dashcams record front and rear views onto one memory card.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »
Didn't have one when i started riding so, can't see the point now  ::) Just another gimmick  :o

Online taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »
I got a dashcam after I got taken out by an idiot not looking. Because there were no witnesses he got away with it. I've got the camera for evidence,  not pointless YouTube videos.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 12:14:07 PM »
....with the greatest respect Trig, the roads ain’t what they used to be 40+ yrs ago when we started out on wheels.
My daily drive (genuinely) is a 45HP split screen Kombi, who’s brakes and power are not really compatible with modern traffic. Not obvious until you drive such crap performance, but it’s a rude awakening to me (at least) at just how things have changed, whether it be congestion, etiquette, braking distances, top speeds etc. Energy management is the key; you look ahead 100s of yards planning traffic lights, roundabouts etc. My daughter / her hubby have no bloody idea.... 🤦‍♂️
Folk, generally, given modern pressures, modern performances, modern manners... are way more aggressive in their driving, and if an edge is available you might as well take it?
Especially on a bike....

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 12:45:38 PM »

Not me either. Don't forget unless you are the perfect rider/driver who never breaks a law your own camera can also be used against yourself.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 02:06:27 PM »
Didn't have one when i started riding so, can't see the point now  ::) Just another gimmick  :o
I won't even own a smartphone, my brief flirtation with one had me end up chucking it in the river Thames. ... peace. ;D The first problem with these helmet mounted cams is that most people are recording their own guilt!  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 02:30:41 PM »

Not me either. Don't forget unless you are the perfect rider/driver who never breaks a law your own camera can also be used against yourself.

Everyone that I know that has been involved in a accident with a camera it, has worked against them. "If you did not over take the two cars 3 miles ago then, you would not of been at the accident spot at the time of the event ". And " we are nicking you as, overtook a truck on a double white line 46 miles ago ".

Every accident i have been involved in. I have taken them to court with private lawyers and barristers (NOT from insurance company's) and in every case they have paid out a week before it is due in the high court as, they do not want to pay all the court fees.   

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »

Only if they see it or you tell them you have one.

I'm looking for one which is completely hidden so in the event I ever get pulled by Mr Plod he can't spot it easily so can't ask for it's recordings. After getting wiped out in 2011 by some very nice lady driver suddenly spotting a McDonalds and turning across me and then getting 2 of her passengers to climb out and pretend to be passerby's who witnessed the whole thing Mr Plod and it was all the bikers fault I'd like a video of any future events as a just in case. Only for the fact one of the actual witnesses was a biker and heard them claiming to be witnesses and telling the police woman taking their statements that they were out of the car did I win my case. Incidentally they didn't get prosecuted for doing that, which was a joke in itself.

So what you are actually saying is without a camera it all worked out fine.  ;)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 05:18:22 PM »
I have very mixed views on cameras
I had a dash cam in my van when I was hit head on in January it made no difference to my defence even though they were on my side of the road.   :o  it was settled 50/50 because apparenty  I just agreed to go 50/50 in March when recovering from Covid. I don't even remember the phone call. But they played the recording of me talking jiberish I couldn't even remember how to spell my name on the recording.
Way back in May someone shunted me on the Guzzi and fled. A camera would have been nice if rear facing as I had no one to claim against.
Ithought I was fine but I have been in agony for months since and really struggle to get through the day and struggle to sleep at night.

Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »
Not very discreet but this arrangement covers all angles 🤣🤣🤣🤣
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
Not very discreet but this arrangement covers all angles 🤣🤣🤣🤣
(Attachment Link)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 08:00:32 PM »
There may be a different legal position with a camera "fitted" to you, versus fitted to the bike.

Thought a vehicle was available for inspection if used on public highway as part of licensing,  as opposed to you wearing one that could need proscribed legal procedures to obtain access.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 09:31:34 PM »
There may be a different legal position with a camera "fitted" to you, versus fitted to the bike.

Thought a vehicle was available for inspection if used on public highway as part of licensing,  as opposed to you wearing one that could need proscribed legal procedures to obtain access.

Stand at the side of the road and argue it if you want but i will bet you lose with a snotty cop.
Quick google search.
When the camera is attached to you and not the vehicle, the police still have the power to seize the equipment, without a warrant, under Section 19 of PACE  :(

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 11:04:46 PM »
I don't use them so don't have a definitive view either way.

Comment effectively from a police officer as it's their view that it's a fairly significant threshold to cross if they want to confiscate something like this without reasonable cause.

As opposed to a vehicle that's been involved in a accident and during subsequent inspection (the owner of which may not have been present) the recording having been accessed, may give reasonable cause to secure as evidence. 

Subtle,  but with obvious differences.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal