Author Topic: Dragging clutch  (Read 5845 times)

Offline Scottvincent

• View Profile
Re: Dragging clutch
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2021, 09:01:09 PM »
Hi Phil

No, it’s just a smear of grease that I used to hold the gasket in place whilst I did a trial fitting of the clutch.

Thanks
Honda CB750 F1
BMW R60/2
BMW R25/2
Sunbeam S8/VW
BMW R60/R100
Honda C72
Honda C200
Love anything with 2/3 wheels

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2021, 11:20:39 PM »
I can't quite see the angle of the arm from that view. 

Presumably you've adjusted as you described, touch screw in then back out a prescribed amount?

You can,  for investigative purposes, just touch the screw down and not go back to give slack to assess it like that. It may be a route to run as such initially to bed the assembly in and then reassessment after a few miles. That would give the most lift possible with the components you've got.

On these,  the clutch if you give it some hard launches to heat it up (no suggestion to do this, but illustrative) results in the clutch pack expanding and moving away from the lifter mech,  so it doesn't promote slip but more that you can't release it fully.  It's low risk to run it as suggested above as it won't ordinarily give a problem.

Worthwhile to try it and see what you get in respect of it dragging.

Offline Scottvincent

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2021, 03:48:31 PM »
Hi Jedi

I adjusted the clutch as you suggested and went for an exploratory ride. The bike went into gear without a crunch but was wanting to be off by itself. It could be held on the brake. Within 2 yards the clutch was slipping so badly that no further progress was possible. Ignominious return to the garage! I reset the clutch, as per manual and tried again. The bike went into gear without a crunch, but again wanted to proceed with or without me. This time the clutch engaged and rode as I would expect it to. Gear changes were quiet, even into first gear, but I could not engage neutral when stationary. The bike would stall when held on the brake.

I think that it needs a good long ride with frequent use of clutch and gears.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thank you
Honda CB750 F1
BMW R60/2
BMW R25/2
Sunbeam S8/VW
BMW R60/R100
Honda C72
Honda C200

Offline Scottvincent

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2021, 03:56:34 PM »
Photograph of the angle of the clutch lifting mechanism

Honda CB750 F1
BMW R60/2
BMW R25/2
Sunbeam S8/VW
BMW R60/R100
Honda C72
Honda C200

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2021, 03:57:23 PM »
Try going back to mineral or semi synthetic oil as if I remember correctly you are using GTX
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2021, 04:05:52 PM »
I may be on the wrong tack as I’m visualising the 500/4 mechanism, but could it have the subtly wrong model of or worn lifting cam/lever bit/ball bearings?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 04:17:23 PM by JezzaPeach »
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline Scottvincent

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »
Nurse Julie, I will give a mineral oil a try. I am supposing that back in the 70s, this is what Honda would have used? Any recommendations?

Thank you.
Honda CB750 F1
BMW R60/2
BMW R25/2
Sunbeam S8/VW
BMW R60/R100
Honda C72
Honda C200

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2021, 05:42:25 PM »
Nurse Julie, I will give a mineral oil a try. I am supposing that back in the 70s, this is what Honda would have used? Any recommendations?

Thank you.

I've read lots of advice about Synthetics & Semis not being suitable for older bikes - Exol do a semi synthetic suitable for wet clutches. I'm going to probably use the Asda Mineral Oil.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
Something odd with the clutch pack, and possibly it's "willingness" to sit flat when you assemble.

By tightening and not backing out the screw you effectively set the lift mech to touching the thrust bearing with no space, when you tried to use it the plates must have compacted more to then slip with it set like that. It moves the whole combined clutch plate pack toward the lift mech, which shouldn't happen.

Using it as you've set it now (after the pack has found a natural home point) will probably help and certainly allow you to asses it further. Gear changing won't change anything as such but clutch use to pull away etc will.

To make a problem statement,  the clutch mech lift is insufficient to make each plate run clear enough from it's neighbouring plates to prevent torque driving through them.
Ordinarily, a prime cause of that would be having bent or bowed plates. Are you certain that the plates are substantially flat (check on a piece of glass, for wave form and also for peripheral to internal diameter (making sure they are not cone shaped)  as any significant variance will take up space that can't be accessed by the lifter mechanism, and drive will always be in place as you have in dragging.

You can check them with feeler guages against a known flat surface.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2021, 09:53:55 PM »
I had a similar issue on my ZZR1100 but not as pronounced as your issue. I changed the steel plates and that cured it. I would check the steel plates (as K2 - K6 suggests) before just changing them though as they are expensive - and may not cure the problem.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Scottvincent

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2021, 09:24:16 PM »
Hi
I’ve checked the plates for flatness, all seemed ok. I am happy that the clutch lifting mechanism is working fine, the problem seems to be in the separation of the plates. Looking back I think that I can see what may have happened.
I believe that the F1 sat for many years after money had been spent on renewing numerous parts, I would imagine that the p.o. ran out of energy (or money). It was then traded in as an unfinished project to a local bike dealer in Norfolk who wanted to move it on quickly - this is where I came in as there is nothing I like more that an orphaned bike ( I have more in my shed)
I got it up and running but never touched the clutch. The bike had no oil in the tank when I got it and a stripped sump plug and I would imagine that the clutch was dried out. I assumed that new plates and springs would sort matters out, but thinking back, I don’t think that I soaked the new plates in oil and so just duplicated the problem. Things were definitely better after I soaked the clutch for a couple of days recently. Unfortunately I just changed the oil for fully synthetic, compounding the problem.

I will clean the plates and change the oil for mineral. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the (hopeful) resolution of the problem.
Honda CB750 F1
BMW R60/2
BMW R25/2
Sunbeam S8/VW
BMW R60/R100
Honda C72
Honda C200

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2021, 08:14:55 AM »
Good job. Your case a useful learning curve for me as I nearly ruined mine by letting a leak cause the oil to get too low and had a similar issue.
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2021, 03:38:11 PM »
Hi
I’ve checked the plates for flatness, all seemed ok. I am happy that the clutch lifting mechanism is working fine, the problem seems to be in the separation of the plates. Looking back I think that I can see what may have happened.
I believe that the F1 sat for many years after money had been spent on renewing numerous parts, I would imagine that the p.o. ran out of energy (or money). It was then traded in as an unfinished project to a local bike dealer in Norfolk who wanted to move it on quickly - this is where I came in as there is nothing I like more that an orphaned bike ( I have more in my shed)
I got it up and running but never touched the clutch. The bike had no oil in the tank when I got it and a stripped sump plug and I would imagine that the clutch was dried out. I assumed that new plates and springs would sort matters out, but thinking back, I don’t think that I soaked the new plates in oil and so just duplicated the problem. Things were definitely better after I soaked the clutch for a couple of days recently. Unfortunately I just changed the oil for fully synthetic, compounding the problem.

I will clean the plates and change the oil for mineral. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the (hopeful) resolution of the problem.
I hope you are right Scott but I have built 3 x 750's in recent years, changing the plates on all 3 and have never pre soaked the friction plates (just smeared with oil) - hope you sort it!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Scottvincent

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2021, 03:58:28 PM »
Now you tell me!!

However, I’m not just basing my optimism on chance but on the fact that after I soaked the plates, the clutch felt considerably better than before. Hopefully the change to mineral oil will also incrementally improve matters. I am looking for for all the small detail adjustments that will add up to a larger improvement, as I cannot see anything fundamentally wrong with the clutch.

Thanks for the advice.
Honda CB750 F1
BMW R60/2
BMW R25/2
Sunbeam S8/VW
BMW R60/R100
Honda C72
Honda C200

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »
I'm not sure if I've followed the logic correctly on this one.

The general claim is that "synthetic" engine oil is considered (not by me) to make wet clutches MORE likely to slip. Ergo,  it follows that "mineral" engine oil will provide MORE grip from the plates,  which is the problem you are attempting to avoid.

It seems counterintuitive in logic terms.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal