Author Topic: Accidents whilst working on bikes or cars?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Accidents whilst working on bikes or cars?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 12:58:24 AM »
A mis-timed blow with a hammer while trying to loosen a rear sprocket on a Honda caused a bit of a tooth to fly off and hit my thumb. It was like being shot and the pain was excruciating. This resulted in a trip to the local hospital and after slicing open the wound the A & E surgeon happily informing me that the shard would be with me for life as it was embedded in the bone. Oh, how we laughed. ???

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2021, 04:25:03 PM »
I can’t remember the exact science behind it but anti freeze doesn’t break down in the body naturally and slowly poisons you because it can’t leave the system. So the highest strength alcohol available is used to convert the anti freeze into a substance that can be excreted from the body.

Back in my hospital pharmacy days anyone that had taken an overdose of anti freeze would be treated with high strength alcohol, or an unlicensed infusion from abroad costing thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes antifreeze is not good for you

It crystallises in the kidneys that then quickly leads to kidney failure hence why is not good to leave out as it tastes sweet so cats and other animals like to drink it

Not nice stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 12:06:18 AM »
Long time ago (in mid 90's) I was working on my old Skoda car in my small garage (16 sqare meters, car was inside).
It was sometime in Feburary, freezing outside a lot (about -10°C), my wiper motor was running slow. As I planned to go to ski next day 300km away, I knew I need it working properly and fast...

So I started to clean motor gear from old grease.
Due to low temp I was using old fashioned heater (3 red hot spirals,~500W each, not covered at all sat on my working bench around half meter from me). For cleaning, I did not have any better have idea than to use normal gasoline to clean wiper motor inside small baking pan with brush just in front of it.

You can imagine what happened...

I still remeber that moment, brush full of gasoline spaying gasoline directly to non covered red hot spiral - the same second all - baking pan, brush, motor and my hands too (that time no gloves) in big fire!

Fortunately, I quickly extinguished fire on my hand (don't really know how?), opened garage doors and looking on bench in fire (baking pan with gasoline) and fumes from it, started to look for options - no water available, just totally frozen snow outside (-10°C, garage is located outside w/o any heating), no fire extinguisher available... found there one old thick blaket from our couch - took it and threw it onto fire. Fire fortunately stopped immidiately, uffff

really cannot imagine what I would do otherwise, garage full of other flammables like acetone, propane gas bottle etc just nerby..was really happy nothing else happened, even wiper motor was intact  ::)

Stupid young impatient 🤦‍♂️
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 07:56:58 AM »
I was doing an oil change on a Triumph Herald and just as the drain plug came out my arm jammed between the sump and the drain can so I drained an entire sump full of hot oil down the sleeve of my overalls.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »
I was doing an oil change on a Triumph Herald and just as the drain plug came out my arm jammed between the sump and the drain can so I drained an entire sump full of hot oil down the sleeve of my overalls.

Ouch - I've none similar but only a relatively small spill as the sump plug came out sooner than expected.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal