Author Topic: Route of the loom  (Read 1263 times)

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Route of the loom
« on: January 23, 2021, 08:21:17 PM »

No not jeans. This is a head scratcher for me as my DK Special from the USA has been thrown down the road numerous times and suffered less than perfect rebuilds after its many accidents.
One example of this I the way the loom passes beneath the tank. Currently it is squeezed though the triangular gusset just behind the coils. This interferes with the operation of the push-pull throttle cables to the extent that the throttle will not shut on it own as the cables are kinked. There is just not enough room in there.
One of my lockdown projects was to change the handlebar from the horrible USA aftermarket ‘cowhorn’ bars into a more European and flatter spec; I’ll do another post on that as that is proving to be a right giggle as well. This necessitates the disconnection of all the wires in the headlamp shell and I thought I’d re-route the loom at the same time as everything was undone.
The question I have, is, should the loom that runs from the battery area to the headlamp, be routed:
   -  Strapped to the thick top tube that supports the top of the headstock
Or
   -   Strapped to the thinner lower left hand tube that runs under the tank
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
As always, all answers gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
Phil
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Route of the loom
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 08:23:53 PM »
Flippin' photo upside down again ! Just how do you attach a photo that's the right way up?
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »
This is mine on strip down, I bought the bike new in 1976 so it was as per Honda apart from the piece of inner tube to stop chaffing, its a 76 750F1 may be different to K's

And after

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline leadnavel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 10:56:32 PM »
Here’s a couple of pictures taken from my CB750F2/K7 workshop manual showing cable and wire harness routing, I hope that it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CB750K7

Offline leadnavel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:57:35 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CB750K7

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:32:41 AM »
Hello,
Dennis & Leadnaval: Thank you both; really helpful. I know what I have to do today - extract the loom from beneath the coils (which will have to come out as that's what's jamming the throttle cables and everything else in that triangular gusset) and lay the wiring as shown in your photos/diagram.
Thanks for taking the time.
Stay safe.
Phil.

Offline leadnavel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 11:01:07 AM »
Hopefully these images are a bit clearer than my previous post.
CB750K7

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal