Author Topic: CMSL - Import Duties/VAT  (Read 3861 times)

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: CMSL - Import Duties/VAT
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 06:38:38 PM »
I ordered some gauge faces from Marcel earlier this month and no VAT or Duty on delivery here so whether this was a 'one off' remains to be seen. I have another order on the way here so I'll see what happens to that one. It maybe that items in a jiffy bag are ignored by customs. 

Offline Dave Bingham

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 08:06:47 PM »
I have had numerous parts of CMSNL over the years. I ordered some parts on the 1st of Jan and just had notification today from the carriers that they have finally arrived and they want £64.74 import tax before they can release it! Considering the goods were £197.50 plus vat, I am paying nearly 50% in taxes. Looks like CMS will be losing a lot of UK trade!

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 09:14:30 PM »
Dave, see my original post - your experience contradicts what CMSL tells us in the email I received - maybe you should get in touch with CMSL as as you ordered on 01st Jan, they may not have sorted their arrangements with UK HMRC/VAT?
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline MeilakJ

• SOHC Member
  • Life is what you make it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 09:22:32 PM »
From the other side I have some issues when buying from UK .

Apperently from the agreement that has been reached this has  complicated the process . My couriers have informed me that if there was not a deal it would have been easier to process as it would automatically just be buying from a country similar to the US . Package arrives just pay customs and VAt and done . with what has been agreed , they have to verify country of origin , to see if it from UK it is really from UK so that there is no abuse etc

Anyway ,hope fully things will get smoother along the way .

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 10:34:45 PM »
Paul G mentioned Memo, I've just received a pair of gauges from Canada marked 'for repair & return'
arrived here without a problem. No evidence Customs had looked in the box. So it might be the case that no duty is payable is these circumstances and shouldn't be as it's not a purchase. 

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
hidden charges
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 09:48:04 AM »
More harmful hidden charges:-

JUST this week, we’ve discovered that now we are out of the EU-wide Interchange Fee Regulation, which used to cap credit card fees at 0.3%, Mastercard is now raising its fees to 1.5% for UK customers on any items bought in the EU.

To add irony to injury, it might have been way more than 1.5% if the EU hadn’t also negotiated a cap for non-EU credit cards.

I found this report in a National UK newspaper, so it obviously needs to be verified by contacting your bank or credit card provider.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:28:35 AM by Skoti »
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: hidden charges
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 11:27:10 AM »

JUST this week, we’ve discovered that now we are out of the EU-wide Interchange Fee Regulation, which used to cap credit card fees at 0.3%, Mastercard is now raising its fees to 1.5% for UK customers on any items bought in the EU.
EEEEEE....don't use Mastercard!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Not cheap
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
Meanwhile some info for those of us residing in the EU.

Getting stuff from the UK is obviously no longer going to be as cheap, but at least DS has made it simpler and easier with his DDP system. (Delivered Duty Paid).

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

As far as I understand, getting parts from David Silver here in G will be  around + 4%:

Sales price excluding UK VAT (-20%) + German VAT + 19% + German customs duty +5 = + 4% in toto

cheers, Uli

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 01:52:44 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 03:30:21 PM »
And to complicate matters further the VAT procedure from 1st July 2021 is due to change:-

Imported consignments of goods not exceeding £135 are subject to sales (supply) VAT instead of import VAT.
This should be charged to the UK consumer by the UK or non-UK seller in the checkout at the point-of-sale.

The seller must then report and pay the collected VAT through a regular UK VAT return.
A simplified customs declaration will still be required. Goods above this value are be subject to VAT and customs in the old way.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/uk-post-#@%$-vat-on-e-commerce-b2c-imports.html

So I think we pay the sales VAT directly to the seller instead of the shipping company or Royal Mail.
I suppose this makes things a little easier in the UK when buying stuff from the EU and vice versa...

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:36:46 PM by Skoti »

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 03:33:06 PM »
However you look at it we're paying more and there's no way around it. Hopefully it will all settle down soon.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 07:11:29 PM »

I think my parts are part of the experiment. Ordered 07 Jan, initially they were held by UPS and then returned. CMS have since dispatched them with an estimated delivery date of 28th Jan. there were no extra charges, but they are going to N Ireland, which, if I understand the system is still in the customs union and free trade area.

If you leave the club, you can't expect to continue enjoying the benefits! I'm moving to France; not because of #@%$, but to avoid all the ferries from NI when I put my retirement plan into effect. ;D

My parts arrived today. no additional charges.
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 01:07:39 PM »
And to complicate matters further the VAT procedure from 1st July 2021 is due to change:-

Imported consignments of goods not exceeding £135 are subject to sales (supply) VAT instead of import VAT.
This should be charged to the UK consumer by the UK or non-UK seller in the checkout at the point-of-sale.

The seller must then report and pay the collected VAT through a regular UK VAT return.
A simplified customs declaration will still be required. Goods above this value are be subject to VAT and customs in the old way.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/uk-post-#@%$-vat-on-e-commerce-b2c-imports.html

So I think we pay the sales VAT directly to the seller instead of the shipping company or Royal Mail.
I suppose this makes things a little easier in the UK when buying stuff from the EU and vice versa...

i´say it depends if the seller is a private person or a company.

BTW: linky no worky
cheers, Uli

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 01:24:55 PM »
Oops,

sorry about the previous dodgy link I posted, here's another one that hopefully works, but it's a wee bit out of date as the new VAT legislation is actually intended to be effective from 1st July 2021.

"HMRC has announced that it will abolish the LVCR with effect from 1 January 2021 and are proposing to make all imported goods up to £135 in value liable for domestic VAT rather than Import VAT – thus shifting the point where VAT is collected from the time of importation to the time of supply to the customer."

https://www.blickrothenberg.com/insights/detail/vat-changes-proposed-from-1-january-2021-for-consumer-sales-purchased-from-overseas-sellers/#:~:text=HMRC%20has%20announced%20that%20it,of%20supply%20to%20the%20customer.

(It's also possible to find official info about this on the EU website in other languages.)

Hope this helps

Skoti

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:26:13 PM by Skoti »

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 09:49:55 PM »
Looks if your tax authorities are completely taken by surprise by #@%$.

Edit: nice auto-correction!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:52:22 PM by Sgt.Pinback »
cheers, Uli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal