Author Topic: NOS parts on Ebay can be nearly twice the David Silver Price!!  (Read 1525 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
NOS parts on Ebay can be nearly twice the David Silver Price!!
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »
I always scan Ebay for CB750 parts - in fact it has become an obsession over the last 12 months!!
I am gradually building up my parts for the big rebuild next spring and spotted this on Ebay. for 5.95GBP

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-CB750-CB500-CB550-Main-Stand-Crescent_W0QQitemZ280429689325QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item414ae979ed

Just about to bid for one when I check with David Silver and  the price inc. VAT is 2.58GBP inc VAT !

OK I suppose the postage is very reasonable on the Ebay one  and maybe worth it if you wish to buy a single item and not pay DSS postage but it just shows how reasonable DSS are, and  that you have to be careful.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: NOS parts on Ebay can be nearly twice the David Silver Price!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:42:36 PM »
Noticed that a lot of NOS stuff is cheaper from the suppliers.

I build a Bonneville a couple of years ago and most parts on Ebay were more expensive than the regular suppliers. It taught me to check the prices elsewhere before bidding as well as giving ma a sensible value for the parts.

Good luck with the K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »
I'm fairly convinced folk just buy stuff off Silvers and list it on ebay with a markup to make pennies from unwary bidders
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:12:36 AM »
I would agree too. Bought a battery strap of ebay last year, some months later looking for another part on DS I noticed the same strap was half price...old habits!

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

rhos1355

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:49:21 PM »
I suppose this is yet one more reason why a lot of our cousins "across the pond" refer to it as "evil bay". Stopped looking at it years ago when I realised it was a mecca for shady shysters.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal