Author Topic: The F2 Restoration  (Read 32108 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: The F2 Restoration
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
Hi i made a bit more progress today on the restoration, i fitted the swingarm bearings, then fitted swingarm, centerstand and side stand, battery box with some of the electrics,inner guard,oil tank, and top and bottom yolks, also i have received my new SS valves and guides from USA, the head is blasted and old guides removed so i am ready to press in the new ones and grind the valves in, the top crank case is blasted, just need to find the time to blast bottom case, cylinders, and any other bits so i can spray them black, i have opted fro POR 15 engine enamel for the engine, as this seems to be the toughest finish, and totally petrol and solvent proof. I am a bit pissed off as i managed to snap off a tap in the crank case half when cleaning out the threads, so i am going to have to do the old MIG weld a nut on trick and hope that this works, there is also two broken off engine case bolts that were already broken off , i will either drill them or try the same nut welding trick.

Happy new year to all

Pete

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
...the finish at first glance is very good , but on closer examination I have noticed some  rough spots, which happen to be right there on show on the RH main front down tubes, it looks like they have coated over a  patch of grit, I suppose it is my fault in a way because this place does mainly commercial gates and railings, they do not seem to take a pride in the finish of pride and joy things like my frame it is all treated in the same way.

I had similar problems with a blasting company that was used to stuff that's more 'agricultural'. Painting was good, as the paint shop owner knew what he was doing (he'd restored his own Ducati so I felt in reasonably safe hands). Blasting was OK, as was paint, it's just that they used a very coarse medium and I'd think quite a high force, and didn't mask it well so I had to really work on tidying up the threads etc.

Who did you use btw, I'm looking again soon for my new project and want to know who I can, and can't, trust. I had mine done at Ditchling,

Phil

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 11:09:45 AM »
It's really great to be at the stage were you can start to assemble parts, used to take a photo oif the F1 from the same spot after each session so I had a series of progress photos.
You probably know all ready but the car rubber and plastic cleaner works great on all the plastic bits, airbox etc.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Today i decided to have a go at removing the broken tap out my engine casing, anyone who has ever broken one off and tried removing it will know it is a really awkward job , drilling is not really an option as they are so hard .
I started off MIG welding a blob on to the cleaned end of broken tap, i then placed a nut over the blob and welded the nut to the tap, once done i tried undoing it, but it sheared off a bit further down the tap, so i tried the same again and on the 5th attempt i managed to free up the tap and unscrew it , it made a bit off a mess to the case but nothing real serious, i am just pleased i got it put, i was not so lucky with the two snapped off bolts that i found that were already broken when i dismantled the engine, these two just would not move with the nut welding trick, so i filed one flat, center punched it and hand drilled with a  drill bit half the diameter, i made a right F--k up of this the drill seemed to move off center a bit so when i drilled the next hole of the exact size it chewed off some of the casing on one side i must have drilled in at a bad angle. I will attempt to redrill and  Helicoil the one i messed up, the other one i am going to leave as it is right next to the big 8mm through bolts that hold the crank cases together, my thoughts are that the engine showed no sign of leaking with both these bolts missing before, so it should be OK especially as i will have repaired one of them,
below is a picture of the removal of broken tap
Pete

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 06:41:04 PM »
A pretty horrible job, always fraught with e danger of further damage or disasters, seems like you have got it sussed though and as you say if it didn't leak without the bolts then it should be OK.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 12:51:16 PM »
I just picked up my new rubber, a really nice looking pair of tyres, they cost alot more as they had to fit 2 new tubes, what tyres do you guys use?
I am finding it hard to keep motivated with the resoration , the thought of going outside at the moment puts me off I hope the -5 temperatures and snow go away soon.
Pete

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »
They certainly look nice tyres, I'm a bit of a stick in the mud, the F1 has TT100's front and rear just like I used when the bike was new.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
I use Avon Roadrunners AM20 and AM21. They look just like the Roadrunners we used in the 70's but are made of modern compounds.

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 12:08:26 PM »
Those wheels have come up a treat Peter...& you still appear to have all of the little black 'Honda' rivet covers.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 05:38:34 PM »
I managed to get some more parts blasted clean today, it is so satisfying when you have a whole load of clean parts sitting on the bench, when the temperature rises i will have a go at painting them,
Also today my new wheel bearings and bearing seals arrived so i can install these and be a step nearer to having a rolling chassis
Pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
I got out in the garage this afternoon, drilled out 3 broken off studs i found in my crankcases, and helicoiled them, i now have every engine part i need to rebuild the engine ,so i besy get on and spray the engine, i also managed to respray my fork lowers yesterday, so i can put the bike together as a rolling chassis as soon as they are dry enough,
I am getting real excited about this now and my mayday deadline might still be realistic, but hey if not done by then i still have a lovely K1 to ride
Pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 06:00:55 PM »
Hi this weekend i really got my finger out, and got loads of work done on bike, i cleaned and blasted the lower crankcase half, then masked up & painted both cases black 2 coats, i also put the first coat on my front calipers , i also finished off my forks and fitted these to the bike so now i have a rolling chassis wooo hooo things are starting to move again now spring is almost here i have full really got the working on bike bug back again and am planning my next jobs out so i keep momentum i just love it when i am in this sort of mood
Pete

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »
That is looking great, makes me want to get out there in the garage and get working on mine !

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »
Looking very nice Pete  ;)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
I am making progress really fast now, spring is almost hear and i am on a mission to get this bike done, i am trying my best to keep my attention to detail but it is really hard, i think i am winning take a look at the photos let me know what you think, this week i have rebuilt the bottom end , finished reconditioning all the parts for my front brakes ready to reasemble, and done some spraying of engine parts
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal