Author Topic: New silencer to header box leak  (Read 515 times)

Offline billywingnut

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
New silencer to header box leak
« on: March 15, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »
So I bought a new silencer from DS which is great. I notice that I have a slight leak of water ( noticeable when running from cold) from the connection to the header box. It didn't happen with the original Honda silencer. It doesn't appear to be blowing from the joint. I fitted new bracket and seal which required work to get it to fit into the silencer.   Should I ignore it or bodge it ?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: New silencer to header box leak
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »
Better it leak than not, it saves that area rotting out with rust due to condensation build up. Mine is incontinent as well 😁😁😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline billywingnut

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 05:02:56 PM »
That's good enough for me, thanks Julie

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 07:34:43 PM »
I'm lucky enough to still be running an OE system, and there is a small drain hole at the forward end of the silencer to get rid of the condensation.  If at all possible, don't start the engine just for the sake of it. Wherever possible, if my engine gets started then it's taken for a long enough run to get the whole lot nice and hot.  If the bike is laid up and you want to keep things lubricated, then give your right leg a work out on the kick starter, or spin it over on the starter button with the kill switch open. Batteries are cheaper and more available than exhaust systems.!!!
     The 400 is road ready, so have defected to twin cylinders now with the purchase of a 1966 CL160.  Hopefully a fool and his money are not too easily parted!!!!!    Stay Safe everyone. Mike.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 08:38:12 PM »
I'm lucky enough to still be running an OE system, and there is a small drain hole at the forward end of the silencer to get rid of the condensation.  If at all possible, don't start the engine just for the sake of it. Wherever possible, if my engine gets started then it's taken for a long enough run to get the whole lot nice and hot.  If the bike is laid up and you want to keep things lubricated, then give your right leg a work out on the kick starter, or spin it over on the starter button with the kill switch open. Batteries are cheaper and more available than exhaust systems.!!!
     The 400 is road ready, so have defected to twin cylinders now with the purchase of a 1966 CL160.  Hopefully a fool and his money are not too easily parted!!!!!    Stay Safe everyone. Mike.
You've NOT defected at all, this is not the American group, if it's a single overhead cam it's welcome, or that's how I've always understood it. CL160, semi trials version of the CB160? Let's see some pics of it then, as I for one have never seen one.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 08:32:25 AM »
Thanks for the kind words regarding only having two cylinders! The 400 will always be the one to ride when I feel like remembering my long lost youth. The CL160 was purchased because of the 'need' for something to tinker with that was not quite so heavy. The plan is not to turn it into a 'show' model, but to get it looking tidy, rideable, and safe. Never owned a bike of this style before, but the engine brings back very distant memories of riding (thrashing!) a 1968 CD175 sloper. Absolutely bombproof. Will now see if I can master this new found technology and post a couple of photos in a following post.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 09:36:40 AM »
Photos hopefully!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 11:58:05 AM »
That's a great starting point, the all important bits are there, the exhausts look really clean, mudguards look solid etc.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal