Author Topic: CB500 lighting switch  (Read 2411 times)

Offline mhirst121

• View Profile
CB500 lighting switch
« on: December 19, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »
Hello all, i`m new here so be gentle with me ;)
The problem I have is with the rh bar switch. The kill switch works fine but the lighting side doesn`t, I have checked through all the wiring and have noted that there is only one black(live) wire in the loom from the switch. This goes to the kill switch, this means there is no live to the lighting switch. I can put one in but I was wondering if there was some kind of internal link in the switch itself from the kill switch live to the lighting slider switch??
Any help appreciated to finish off my total resto on this bike.

Cheers,
MartinH

Online Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB500 lighting switch
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:01:55 AM »
Hi Martin, and welcome, I know absolutely nowt about the CB500 but the wiring diagram should show up any linkage. Here's a link to the US SOHC site. http://data.sohc4.net/WD500/CB500.pdf

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »
According to my CB500F manual the black connects to the black/white wire when the 'Kill' switch is in the 'on' position.

But the 500 version switchgear is a bit unusual to the other fours in that the left of 4 positions is 'Off', then 'Low beam', then 'Pilot', then 'High'. So, the black wire is used in the last three positions to provide power to the lights. It may well be that the black contacter inside of the switch has corroded, which is easily checked with a multimeter. Connect one end of the resistance meter set on up to 100 ohms or so, and buzz from the black wire of the main lead into the switchgear, then with the light switch in the 'L' position, check continuity to the brown/white wire and the white wire. Then move the switch to the 'P' position, and buzz from the black to the brown/white wire only. This is the 'Pilot'. Then move the switch to the 'H' position and buzz from the black wire to the blue and the brown/white wires. If non of these gives any readings , but the black and black/white wires buzz through ok with the kill switch  in the 'on' position, then it's definitely the black wire contact in the switchgear. This is easily disassembled, if you are careful, and clean all of the contacts...just don't lose the small spring or the ball bearing.

Later switchgear had the low/high switching on the left side switchgear, and only 'Off', 'Pilot' and 'On' positions on the right side.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:22:26 AM »
From memory there should be 2 black wires from the RH switch connected inside the headlamp shell

Offline mhirst121

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
Thanks all for the info. I have checked through the light switch and there was no black(live) wire to it. The switch has three positions (P, L &H) I have linked from the black wire to the kill switch to the lighting switch, all works ok now apart from the pilot lights are on when the ignition is switched on. This is not a problem for me, just means the lights are on when running.

Cheers,
MartinH

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
Thats a US Switch the UK one has 4 positions and isnt easy to get now, or last time i tried it wasnt

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal