Author Topic: Mains Jounal Measured with micrometer what colour code is needed ?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Today my BiL measured up my mains journal as follows with a decent micrometer the mains were measured in several places and were nice & round.

Crank Casing Code is CAABA where C is number 1 journal.

In order they were No:1 32.03, No:2 32.03, No:3 32.01, No:4 32.03, No:5 32.03

If the Crank Case Code is applied to the tables we think I need No:1 Blue, No:2 Brown, No:3 Green, No:4 Black, No:5 Brown

Does this look right to the folks here that know if Black is not available we think Brown as the next best alternative?

Or I'm not reading the tables correctly ??

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:54:03 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline ttr400

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • CB400F special machined parts
Re: Mains Jounal Measured with micrometer what colour code is needed ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 03:45:28 PM »
Ted,

better measure those crank journals again.  it should be under the 32 mm size down to 31.97.

What manual are you using?  in the Honda manual no reference is given to the codes on the case, i normally measure the bore of the case. But the Haynes manual does refer to the case codes. i have used them in the past and have not had any problems. ( i still double check with the bore measurements)

Kevin
If you are addicted to the little CB400F then you might want to check out my website.
www.ttr400.com

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 03:51:19 PM »
Ted,

better measure those crank journals again.  it should be under the 32 mm size down to 31.97.

What manual are you using?  in the Honda manual no reference is given to the codes on the case, i normally measure the bore of the case. But the Haynes manual does refer to the case codes. i have used them in the past and have not had any problems. ( i still double check with the bore measurements)

Kevin

I was using the Honda Parts Manual but it seems my Cycleserve Manual gives additional colours !!

I'm going to get the journals checked again myself with a different Micrometer as well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:53:28 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:13:19 PM »
Something wrong with your measuring, need another 0 and plastigauge is more reliable.  Never seen 4 different shells on a crank ever  ;)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 08:23:59 PM »
Something wrong with your measuring, need another 0 and plastigauge is more reliable.  Never seen 4 different shells on a crank ever  ;)
The existing shells are 3 Green &  2 unknown as there is no visible colour markingsf for me it's a conundrum.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:27:27 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 08:48:31 PM »
You could mic the green shells with a small bar inside the arc in same direction as crank goes, then do the same for the "mystery" shells to get some view of a match or not.

Put a metal bar (thinking silver steel as it's ground to diameter, or similar) in a vice,  lay the shell over it and mic the two together to get accurate reading.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 08:58:57 PM »
Ted,
Can you see the crankshaft markings? A and 1 in this example.
  [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ignore the red circles.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 09:29:31 PM »
Ted,
Can you see the crankshaft markings? A and 1 in this example.
  (Attachment Link)

Ignore the red circles.
No visible markings on the crank aside from the balance drillings holes  on the crank webs.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:10:35 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 09:34:48 PM »
You could mic the green shells with a small bar inside the arc in same direction as crank goes, then do the same for the "mystery" shells to get some view of a match or not.

Put a metal bar (thinking silver steel as it's ground to diameter, or similar) in a vice,  lay the shell over it and mic the two together to get accurate reading.
I'll look at that I would be happy putting 3 sets of green shells in 2,3 & 4 but 1 & 5 although the same are at present unidentified

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 09:39:05 PM »
I had the same issue with one of my crankshafts, only a couple of markings visible. I took my crankshaft to an engineering company I knew and had the crankshaft measured. As Trigger stated all the measurements were identical.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 10:10:03 PM »
I had the same issue with one of my crankshafts, only a couple of markings visible. I took my crankshaft to an engineering company I knew and had the crankshaft measured. As Trigger stated all the measurements were identical.
At the risk of annoying everybody I feel as though I'm stuck with what to me seems a bizzare batch numbering system of crank bearings with no cross refferencing.

I have 2,3 & 4 mains shells marked as STD D61-A as a batch number - there is a trace colour marking on just one of these as being Green.

The other two 1 & 5 are marked as STD D6H-A at present unidentified as regards to colour as its long since gone.

Has anyone here come across batch number D6H-A with an identified associated colour ?

Am I right in thinking that the lower crank casing marks CAABA refer to the O/D of the shells when they were originally sized by Honda ?

At present my next move is to try to get the crank mains re-measured with a different micrometer - just maybe I can somehow measure the old bearings for 1 &5 thickness wise at a local engineers when I take the upper crank case for the cam chain adjustment bolt modification.

Except that it does not allow for wear Green might be ok for the centre three main bearings.

Not sure how to use Plastiguage to help with identifying 1 & 5.

I'm completely stuck at the moment but time & help here will I'm sure help me see the wood from the trees eventualy !!!!!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:19:13 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 10:30:12 PM »
"Am I right in thinking that the lower crank casing marks CAABA refer to the O/D of the shells when they were originally sized by Honda ?"

It's the measured bore size of the crankcase when inspected after line boring operation.

A being smallest, C the largest (this from a 750 manual) sizing different but protocols the same as far as I know.

Have you got the charts from Honda manual that explains it and gives you the correct colour to use? If so, you can with accurate crankshaft mic measurements derive the colours from those letters and just the accurate dimension.

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 01:49:20 PM »
"Not sure how to use Plastiguage to help with identifying 1 & 5."

Likely that these two are going to be at least Brown to then check with plastigauge.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »
"Not sure how to use Plastiguage to help with identifying 1 & 5."

Likely that these two are going to be at least Brown to then check with plastigauge.

That's an interesting comment as I have completely unscientifically asigned Brown to 1 & 5 on the basis that my cranshaft main jounals are most likely to be in the range 1 of the table so using the crankcase allowance in column C that gives me Brown, as both bearings 1 & 5 are the same batch number STD D6H-A they are both Brown plus the only hint of any colour on the shell edges is rust brown!

Next question to self is what size plastigauge do I need for the clearance range of 20-46.

I am guessing I only really need to use the 8 bolts that secure the mains when checking not put back all the upper & lower crancase bolts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal