SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

CB350 1971 Restoration Project

<< < (2/26) > >>

Laverda Dave:
Good news that you are finding the bits you need Ben.
Generally I get parts like that blasted and powder coated in gloss black. Some things like the top yoke and handlebar clamps are satin  black. If you visit the powder coater with the parts prior to stripping the paint off, they should be able to provide a good match.
I use Microblast in Windsor, they advertise in Classic Bike and are very, very good.

AshimotoK0:

Ben was lucky enough to secure a pair of K3 side panels with the unique badges/emblems still on them  (smaller than the K4 ones and extremely rare). They look a bit sun faded on the orange 'jeweley' bit though (like the orange resin on the CB500/4  and later 750 side panel  badges). I suggested we try refurbing with some 2-pack ultra clear resin I got from China, tinted with orange epoxy pigment. Has anyone tried this? It may be that the the badges are just really dirty and may clean up though.

BenPowell:
 Cheers Dave, yeah some of the bits are tricky to find, but to be expected, thanks for the advice. Luckily I have access to a blaster at work so I can do a lot of the prep work, saving costs and all that   :)

Thanks Ash, will take a look into the paint, I actually got some more images from the seller tonight, I’m sure it’s a build up dirt and dust, will ask my brother to give them a wipe when to get to him, pictures below if I’ve done it right  ;D

MrDavo:
Re the headlamp, both my ‘General Export Market’ (from South Africa)  CB750 K1 and my CL450 had Stanley symmetrical headlamps to work in both rhd and lhd markets. All the panels in the glass go straight up and down. I’m guessing they did it with the CL450 because it was sold in the USA and Australia, different sides of the road. While the dip wasn’t to one side, there was horizontal adjustment via a screw in the rim.

The Stanley headlamp on my Z1A, on the other hand was handed for the US market, I’ve replaced it with a UK spec Lucas halogen for my safety but kept the original.

So it is worth checking to see which side the ‘wedge’ for dip is on, and compare it to one on a UK spec  bike, or a RHD car.

I agree with Ash about powder coating, I got good results on my CL450 with a Simonize gloss black rattle can, although my Z1A frame etc had already been media blasted then professionally sprayed gloss black and looks brand new.

AshimotoK0:
Ben and I also discovered today that 'Light Ruby Red' which looks like a solid colour is actually a white basecoat with candy red on top followed by clear coat.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version