Author Topic: Adjusting points/contact breakers driving me insane!  (Read 1722 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Adjusting points/contact breakers driving me insane!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 08:38:47 AM »
Good point, or take a plug out and compare the piston position with the T mark on the plate.

I think the marks stay the same as pegged to crank position,  but just the cam lobe moving as it rotates independent of the other parts.

In effect it looks ok from initial inspection but the cam itself is 180 out from marks. 

To swap it you have to swing the counter weights out of the way and swivel the cam then re-establish the weights.

There's some good pictures on here of the units with align check marks but I can't immediately find them.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
Its the fact the plate is a smaller circle than the hole formed by the posts,
On a really bad one i made 3 bent curved shims held by yhe screws that hold the plate and bend round the edge of the plate to remove any play, there are other ways and any that work without damage are OK

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 05:52:01 PM »
This pic shows one type
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 06:18:34 PM »
That's the one,  the two little white squares reference the lobe position and can be installed either correctly or 180 out, putting all the timing at BBDC rather than BTDC .

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 09:56:00 AM »
That's the one,  the two little white squares reference the lobe position and can be installed either correctly or 180 out, putting all the timing at BBDC rather than BTDC .

Like the thought but my one has it with the mark in the vicinity of 2-3 mark and a new (not OEM) on DS site shows it also on the 2-3 side , possible succinctly different on the 500/4 and 550/4?

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 02:00:15 PM »
400/4 plate
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 03:35:24 PM »
That's the one, thanks rules out that possibility👍

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 06:26:20 PM »
Made me pause for thought there but yes coils are feeding respective plugs from respective coils -phew.
I checked the continuity on coils today and have continuity on primary and secondary coil, but on checking the resistance I get around 3 ohms and 10-11k ohms across the plugs with caps off but up to 16 when I put caps on - I've read somewhere that the lower reading should be in the order of 5'ish , the upper value seems about right. They are resistor caps of 5k ohms BUT i have fitted non - resistor plugs D8EA's
My other 400/4 runs fine so I think I'll do a swap on the coils and see what happens!

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 06:51:05 PM »
So removed coils and  rechecked ohms , (which were from DS  but not standard ones - 'cos half the price! )  Ohms for primary coil 3ohms and secondary coil 11k ohms.
removed coils from 400/4 runner and checked them which gave 5 ohms and 15k ohms respectively, fitted to rebuild and although not running as yet, still need to fine tune timing but sounded much more powerful on attempting to start. Unfortunately I bought the coils form DS over 3 years ago so doubt if I can return them  :(.
So beware the perils of pattern parts!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 07:13:26 PM »
So removed coils and  rechecked ohms , (which were from DS  but not standard ones - 'cos half the price! )  Ohms for primary coil 3ohms and secondary coil 11k ohms.
removed coils from 400/4 runner and checked them which gave 5 ohms and 15k ohms respectively, fitted to rebuild and although not running as yet, still need to fine tune timing but sounded much more powerful on attempting to start. Unfortunately I bought the coils form DS over 3 years ago so doubt if I can return them  :(.
The ghost of Bitsa will be pissing himself laughing at the last line of that post!

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 07:47:31 PM »

Try Ash's coil fix - for the cost of cheap pattern coils - http://info.sohc.co.uk/download/ashs-ignition-coil-fix-2/
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 09:08:00 AM »
Thanks Phil, been looking for this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal