Author Topic: Older and Wiser???? -- "NOPE"  (Read 617 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Older and Wiser???? -- "NOPE"
« on: May 10, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »
Y'know, I've owned my 400 for 33 years now, and kidded myself that I was just starting to get the hang of things.  Couple of weeks ago, performed the ritual oil and filter change for about the 20th time, and decided to give it a special treat! I bought a NEW sump plug! Yes it has had plenty of new washers. Also this year, I purchased my first ever torque wrench. Oil was duly drained overnight, new filter fitted, taking great care with that bloody great centre bolt. Then, the new sump plug and washer were fitted, I looked at the nice new torque wrench in its presentation case, and thought that it was not ready yet to be covered in oily handprints, and used the 3/8DR ratchet as per all those previous years. Nip it up wrist pressure tight followed by that final tweak. I bet you'll never guess what happened!!!!  I tried to kid myself that it was caused by new bolt into 45 year old sump, and other idiotic reasons, but eventually gave in to the fact that I had cocked up!
     Fortunately DSS is only a 30 minute drive away, and I suffered an acute attack of the wallet with the purchase of a new sump and gasket,
    Yesterday I decided to install the new sump, putting bike on lift this time to save my ageing backbone. Working my way round the sump bolts they all cracked undone nicely until I reached the two on the right above the exhaust collector unit. Have I really got to remove the whole exhaust system just to reach two bolts?  That exhaust is an OE fitting that has not been disturbed for about 16 years, and at present does not leak anywhere. Which god should I be praying to?
     Anybody had recent experience of this dilemma?  Plus, should those in power look favourably upon me, I don't seem to be able to locate the torque figures for the sump bolts or the drain plug. I think it is highly likely that the torque wrench is going to be removed from its box. Mick.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Older and Wiser???? -- "NOPE"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 12:01:20 PM »
Can you get to the sump bolts with one of those socket ring spanner type hybrid? The one with effectively a socket swivelling on the end of a spanner, they can reach the socket depth while having a very slim handle at right angle to get into confined gaps.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 12:07:53 PM »
This type

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:39:46 PM »
1/4 drive socket with long extension and bar

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 02:25:15 PM »
Feel your pain TrickyMicky! If only you had had a torque wrench! Doh! 😂😂😂
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 03:06:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, all good and logical ones. Unfortunately, there is not enough space between the collector box and the bolt heads for the swivel type spanners, and the 1/4dr system I have used, even with a universal coupling it is not possible to get the socket on the bolt head nice and square.  Then in a moment of logic I realised that the amount of time it would take to unscrew the exhaust system as a whole unit is a lot less than the time I have spent puzzling out other methods, plus, hopefully, it will give me the space needed to use the torque wrench on re-assembly. Just topping up my caffeine intake, then it's into the attack!  Any views on 10ft/lbs for 6mm bolts with flanged heads?

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 03:15:06 PM »
Nothing specific Mick, the only info I have is as below. Suggesting that 5.1 - 8.0 lbs-ft would be the one to use.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »
My last post was timed at 15.06hrs, after which I finished my coffee, returned to garage, all exhaust bolts etc came undone nicely, removed as one piece, (and no rust or holes!!!), sump removed, gasket came off in one piece, just got to swap over the baffle plate. Thanks everybody for help, torque figures, and motivation. Mick. Message timed at 15.58!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal