Author Topic: Screw Between Throttle Cables  (Read 649 times)

Offline element137

• View Profile
Screw Between Throttle Cables
« on: May 18, 2021, 07:36:12 AM »
Does anyone know the part number for the small screw between the throttle cables ( bar end ) on the underside of the body - I had a real job getting this out as the head was chewed up - I have looked at the Honda drawing/parts list but cant see this on the drawing- I have found the part numbers for the longer screws that hold the body together  - but this screw has got me stumped - its only about 8mm in length - not even sure what purpose it serves ?- locks the throttle tube in place ?
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Screw Between Throttle Cables
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 07:49:38 AM »
Just a random thought, millions of years ago I owned a CB750, which as we know, uses the same/similar switchgear and twistgrip.  In the location of your mystery screw was a thumbscrew which you could tighten/loosen by hand to increase/lessen the amount of friction on the twistgrip. You could set it to become virtually a form of cruise control and ease the strain on the wrist. Probably worked well in places like the USA where you could ride for miles without having to change your speed. I can only imagine that the screw you are looking at is just a blanking screw used in the casting, which probably has not changed.

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:11:24 AM »
The same for the 500,

I use it to set a fast idol to warm up while I put my hat on.

DSS sells them

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline element137

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the comments - Does sound like it is just a blanking screw - It was only once I got both the longer screws out holding the body together that I realised I probably didn't need to extract it at all  - all the screws were really badly chewed - I suspect from non JIS screwdriver being used in the past - I had to cut a slot across this little one - and when i finally got it out and saw how short it was assumed it had snapped off - but there was nothing left in the housing - so I expect its just a blank and is not long enough to reach into the throttle tube - as an aside - fitted new throttle cables (after the 'pull' cable snapped ) - and the difference in how the throttle is working is massive - the old cable must have been causing massive drag before it let go and snapped the nipple off ! - a real eye opener as to how much influence the cables have on the feel of the bike -

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 10:44:11 AM »
Just a random thought, millions of years ago I owned a CB750,
Imagine a large fossil of a SOHC in the science museum in centuries to come! ;D 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:58:34 AM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 11:51:14 AM »
Is that special millennial "chocolate" edition?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 05:54:07 PM »
I used to use it touring on the continent etc back in the day.
I think I may have had to drill out a plug in the hole, can’t recall, and may have bought the screw and spring.
On my current bike it had the screw and spring and a metal or hard plastic piece inside, not quite reaching the throttle tube, so I used another piece of hard plastic from a cycle light bracket cut to fit and works fine. Agree it can be handy to control tickover warming up.
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 10:15:58 AM »
Many many thanks Oddjob, much appreciated. PM me re price by all means. I won’t do it yet as I’ve done the cables, throttle pipe, etc, and had to solder the switch contact which fell off, so I won’t disturb it unnecessarily! but may keep one for next time it’s apart.
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal