Author Topic: Jock AKA BobTheBuilder's K0  (Read 5033 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Jock AKA BobTheBuilder's K0
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »
Hi,

Jock has PM'd me asking to get his new K0 project on the website.

The Photo's were quite large size files so I have put them on Photobucket.

http://s697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/AshimotoK0/JocksK0/

He says:

Hi Guys, sending this direct to Ash with the hope he will take pity and post the pics on the forum as I cant get the hang of it, this is my new project, one owner ko that has been sitting in a barn for 20 something years{ am I mad or what,} think it needs a little tlc. hope I live long enough,! all the hens in the area must have used it for roosting so needs a bit of a cleen,any HELPFULL sugestions, tips, advice will be most welcome I know all you experts out there will be able to sort out the right from wrong bits so let me know,  Thanks  in advance

Bobthebuilder AKA Jock.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Jock AKA BobTheBuilder's K0
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:47:58 PM »
Do you have the frame number Ash / Jock ?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »
Over to you on frame number Jock. From what I remember of the Ebay listing it was later in 1970 ish.

My advice would be to strip down to the bare frame, have it blasted and see what the corrosion damage is.
And throw NOTHING away!!!

It looks pretty much standard to me? Does it have a 'wrinkle' tank? Mine is Oct '69 and does not although I am sure it is the tank it came to the UK with in Jan 70  and had the Alloy filler cap and early badges.

Guess you are going to need new shocks!! - Just got mine (Honda K0/K1 version) from Silvers for 250 quid. Ouch!!

Good look and we will help you as much as we can!
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
I can't help but admire someone who likes a challenge.

Before starting, check frame/engine numbers to see if it is correct for a K0. The head looks right as do the carbs. I hope the cases have not experienced the broken chain syndrome that was popular with early Hondas.

As Ash says, keep everything. Blast the frame and see what's left. Hopefully most of it. Start from there.

Good luck and keep us posted

Cheers

Seamus

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
Now that looks like lots of days of fun, as others have said throw nothing away, keep all the bolts and get them replated, as far as I know you cannot get them anymore (figure 8 on head). Take lots of photos so that you can get cable runs, wiring runs etc the right way when putting it back together. And lots of Zip loc bags to keep parts together.

Have fun

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jock AKA BobTheBuilders K0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »
Hi Guys, Big thanks to Ash for posting pics he really knows his stuff, as you can see will need a lot of help with this one,just getting all the old bits of is a nightmare as everything has seized, so any tips on that would be a help, I WILL BE BACK.

Bobthebuilder aka Jock. :-\

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
Hi Guys, engine number for my ko is 1031501 frame number is 1031553,  how does that look?
  Jock. ???

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
According to a parts book tha I have, UK CB750's started at frame number 1010369 and US  versions at 100001
K1's at 1044650 in US and 1066912 in the UK.

Not sure where that puts your K0, but I would guess at mid to late run.

Not that it really matters as it is one of the original CB750's.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
The best think about your bike is it's a Genuine (Oval rear lamp) CB750 or if a later one a genuine rare K0. Sandcasts were never sold here so I can't really see why people in the UK wax on about them (unless they are treating it as an investment). Think of the history and stories of that bike. Some guy and his wife using it for their sole mode of transport for years on a Scottish Island. I bet there are many tales to be told about it's history. Imagine in 1970 it's appearance there, where it would have been admired by schoolboys but told it was 'Jap Crap' by old A10 riders. Maybe, we should have a 'Who do you think you are' TV program' for vehicles.

Enjoy the restoration in your retirement and take your time. Then when it's finish go back with it on holiday to the Island it came from.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
I can only agree with Ash's sentiments here.
Nice thought

Seamus

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »
Thanks again guys and Ash has come up with a great idea, but by the time I have finished it there might not be any one left on Sky who would know anything about it, I have heard of riders in there 70's and I think one in 80's but doubt if I will be one of them. Do any of you know any products that would eat rust,  main bolt through engine and many more parts are seized solid with  rust and whatever, :'(

Jock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »
See my earlier post  http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=2398.0

However, for rusted bolts in the frame then probably heat and penetrating fluid. Be careful not to crack the engine mounts as I got a parts bike (K7) and a spare set of cases which had damaged engine lugs. I was lucky, as most of my engine bolts had been replaced with studded bar which did not seize (had to buy new bolts though!!).

You probably know already Jock but the sister US site has a wealth of postings on it. I just wish that 'Hondaman' on it would get his book finished!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:14:05 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 08:46:09 PM »
Hi Jock, thats going to keep you busy for awhile  ;)i remember this one on ebay, my frame number is 1031114 & was originally delivered to Holland i think, so they could have been in the same batch? good luck with your resto keep us posted  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
I have used a mix of brake fluid and petrol to ge into tight rusty spots. Brake fluid seems to work better than stuff like WD40.

I believe that Coke (cola) is also very good at freeing up rusty bolts. Something to do with the acid content (phosphoric I believe).

Bolts through the engine may rust to any spacers (steel) first, but looking at this one, there could be lots of aluminium corrosion holding the bolt. May be worth trying to rotate the bolt/spacers independantly.

Bash it gently after a good soaking  ;D

Good luck

Seamus

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
The key to removing siezed bolts is patience, penetrating fluid, heat, mechanical shock (big hammer) all have their part to play but time is required. Also rmove the bolts from the bottom first, otherwise the weight of the engine will be on the long bottom bolts, get them out first, or remove the top ones, lubricate them and put them back in place.
The longer bolts are getting rare now.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal