Author Topic: loose rear wheel bearing to r/h/s  (Read 680 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
loose rear wheel bearing to r/h/s
« on: June 04, 2021, 02:35:43 PM »
While removing the rear wheel for a new tyre to be fitted I noticed that the r/h/s bearing just fell out when I took of the rear brake plate. It fits back in but as soon as you lay wheel with right side down it falls out again, the bearing is fairly new too. I also noted that the hub sprocket dampers were worn too - so I've ordered replacements.
The workshop said when I told him about bearing that my hub must be worn and ought to seek a replacement. The question is this the only option albeit a sensible one - don't want bearing to come out while riding!
I suspect the worn dampers (sprocket side) have caused the wheel to wear uneven and that is why the right bearing is loose.
Any thoughts guys -- DS can supply a new one but wow !
A second hand one could work but could give same problem.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: loose rear wheel bearing to r/h/s
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 03:08:10 PM »
Its not a common problem so a used hub/wheel has a good chance of being OK. Somebody with a lathe may be able to make a sleeve for it but probably expensive as it would take a bit of time

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 03:20:38 PM »
Its not a common problem so a used hub/wheel has a good chance of being OK. Somebody with a lathe may be able to make a sleeve for it but probably expensive as it would take a bit of time

Cheers Bryan , was getting a bit despondent there - see Steve @400/4 bits has one at the moment!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 04:50:51 PM »
Depending on if you can feel radial movement or not https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/adhesives-and-sealants/retainers-and-threadlockers/641-bearing-fit-10ml/p/LOC7255430A?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxs76w6n-8AIVlO5RCh0yMQm0EAQYASABEgJz1_D_BwE

Cleaned with a degreasant,  assembled with the above and check for rim movement after installation to assess longer term use.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 05:58:49 PM »
Thanks K2
Like the sound of it (or price anyway) but not sure on its longevity - have measured the shoulder in the hub in which the bearing sits against when fitted and even that is showing uneven wear - over 1mm shoulder in places and down to under 0,8mm in others - think I'll pass .
Have you used it all?

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 07:20:53 PM »
The 641 K2 suggests is very good and a go to product for worn bearing housings in industry. I have used plenty of it as long as your bearing isn't a rattle fit and is still just a slide in fit you should be good. :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:23:09 PM by Moorey »

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 07:31:33 PM »
plus one----Loctite bearing fit is a very viable answer to "sliding fit" bearings, it is a well used and long life industrial alternative to more expensive machining.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal