Author Topic: DOWNPIPES STAINED  (Read 638 times)

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
DOWNPIPES STAINED
« on: June 16, 2021, 08:29:38 AM »
Hi SOHC

I am sure this has been asked many times before, I have tried putting it into the search but nothing came up "Muttley's" ( my Honda CB550)  4-1 down pipes are all going a light heat brown colour all down the pipes is there anything that you can clean them with to keep the chrome looking nice ? Or is the bike running to hot possibly due to incorrect mixture  bike seems to run ok  or is it the unusual hot weather where having

Any guidance on this would be appreciated thank you for taking the time to read this
KEEPING IT SHINY SIDE UP IS ALWAYS A GOOD RESULT ON A RIDE OUT

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: DOWNPIPES STAINED
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:51:18 AM »
Are they stock pipes or aftermarket? Genuine stock pipes are double skinned to prevent this happening, so if they are stock pipes something is wrong as it's running too hot (weak mixture/timing issues etc) If they are aftermarket or replica pipes they won't be double skinned so bluing is normal.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 11:16:01 AM »
As Hairy said learn to live with it

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 12:34:54 AM »
When they are "yellowing" they probably are stainless steel...

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »
Hi
A kind thank you to those who answered my question on the yellowing of my downpipes I have no idea if the exhausts downpipes are aftermarket versions as Muttley 🐕 has unfortunately had so many owners before me 20+ so its difficult to know what's been done before,

I decided to renewed the wiring loom over the winter and I might have found one of the running issues was 1 of the spade connector on the charging system (R/W wire) was not long enough so dismantled part of the old loom and refitted a original spade connector then put a volt meter across the battery with the bike running and as I increased the RPM so the voltage when up which is what it should do so hopefully that's sorted that issue

Think possibly the other reason might have been the oil was just on minimum line thought I only checked it 100 miles ago and it was further up the "within the fill range" should have topped it up then,
what a "PLONKER "  Hopefully its not done any lasting damage to the engine and gearbox / clutch

So now I check the oil level every few weeks Lesson Learnt !!!!!!

Thanks once again to all those who have help me with Muttley
KEEPING IT SHINY SIDE UP IS ALWAYS A GOOD RESULT ON A RIDE OUT

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 11:35:17 AM »
If your pipes don't go blue, you're not riding hard enough!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal