Author Topic: Wiring keep blowing relays. 550 F1  (Read 409 times)

Offline Philh550

• View Profile
Wiring keep blowing relays. 550 F1
« on: June 18, 2021, 10:03:48 AM »
Hi all
I have wired the bike from scratch with little knowledge of electrics and an understanding neighbour with good electrical know how.
The problem is after 800 plus miles I have burnt out 2 relays.
We have a lithium battery and a modern reg/rec fitted and have used a distribution box. The relay is a 30amp.
The relay is fitted between the battery and distribution box using a thicker wire and the spade cover on the relay shows signs of getting hot. The second relay i bought had a fuse fitted but didn't blow when the bike died after a 80mile run.
Have I wired it correctly ?
Should there be a relay on the headlamp?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring keep blowing relays. 550 F1
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 11:22:37 AM »
30 amp relay should be fine butpersonaly dont like lithium batteries, i thik they cause more problems than make sense o n our old agricultural electric systems.
If the spade connector or plastic housing is showing signs of heat chances are its not fitting tight enough. Not sure why you need a relayat all, for 50+years these bikes worked with one 15 amp fuse

Offline Philh550

• View Profile
Re: Wiring keep blowing relays. 550 F1
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 05:48:43 PM »
Thanks Bryanj I think I have it sorted although no test ride yet. I wired the relay to the solenoid and after a little trail and error everything seems ok. I understand your thoughts on the battery, hope it never catches fire ! but a friend gave it me for free and once first started it fires the bike first time all day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal