Author Topic: 400/4 for sale  (Read 646 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
400/4 for sale
« on: June 22, 2021, 08:10:00 AM »
Just spotted this on flea bay - is it anyone here parting with it?

Not sure what to think of the price - probably what it will fetch even with the wonky fuel tank might make a good project as it's a runner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353531242797?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 12:32:27 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 for sale
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:43:14 PM »
I'm a little suspicious about it, he wants cash only, no bank transfers or cheques. Why would he not accept a bank transfer? Alarm bells are ringing!

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »
I'm a little suspicious about it, he wants cash only, no bank transfers or cheques. Why would he not accept a bank transfer? Alarm bells are ringing!

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Apparantly there have been instances where cash has been transferred for payment of goods (from a victims account) only to be recalled as they were not authorised by the account holder.
If I was a buyer I would want to view any vehicle at the registered keepers address before I handed over cash plus of course the V5 document - gets complicated when the vehicle is stored elsewhere.

When I bought my 400/4 that was on flea bay I was able to view it before I bought it plus get a measure as to how genuine the seller was - we have kept in touch as he has a Harley my BiL fancies.

Some years back when I was car hunting for my late father in the days of Admag & Local Newspaper adverts I was amazed at how many small time traders were posing as private owners. Before I viewed I would ask are they the current keeper and am I viewing at that address. YES they would say only to find on viewing that they were selling it for a cousin who lived mies away!

Buyer beware eh!

One of the most interesting cases of large scale vehicle fraud (well over £120k in 4 months was stolen) was when I was a custody officer back in 1995 at Ilkeston. A firm who provided insurance companies with loan vehicles had a large compound (in Wales) from where the accident loan vehicles were stored nationally for distribution. A fraudster who had been recently released from HMP worked on the site as a stock manager where they also sold off the vehicles before they were two years old. He  had all the vehicle V5 documents etc and was responsible for sending them to auction when they reached their 2 year birthday or were over a certain mileage. He sold over 40 vehices privately - the new owners thought they had bought bargains until 6 months later when the firms stock check revealed a problem. Police then started the process of seizing the stolen vehicles from the innocent/unsuspecting purchases many of whom had taken out finance to buy them. I processed a number of these "innocent purchasers" arrested during the investigation who although they were not  charged with a criminal offence lost substantial sums of money not to mention being deprived of their vehicle without warning.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
  • I haven't a clue what I'm doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
I have one of those seats, albeit with a tear in it sadly.

Quite like them as a period bolt on.
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 04:14:36 PM »
It does seem a bit strange - on one pic the rear number plate bracket has no plate attached, then another pic shows the rear edge of a plate.  Why would you do that?

Ian

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 04:28:57 PM »
It does seem a bit strange - on one pic the rear number plate bracket has no plate attached, then another pic shows the rear edge of a plate.  Why would you do that?

Ian

Just noticed the number plate has a cable tie!!

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 05:12:15 PM »
Maybe it's been in the garage without the number plate on, then he wanted to put it back on and was missing a bolt.

The problem with fleebay is trying to talk to people before buying / viewing - they go out of their way to try to stop you, but thats the best way to get the measure of someone selling and see if you get a good vibe before you buy.  Personally I would always want cash too if I was selling for a decent amount!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 05:27:59 PM »
Maybe it's been in the garage without the number plate on, then he wanted to put it back on and was missing a bolt.

The problem with fleebay is trying to talk to people before buying / viewing - they go out of their way to try to stop you, but thats the best way to get the measure of someone selling and see if you get a good vibe before you buy.  Personally I would always want cash too if I was selling for a decent amount!
On Ebay Classified listings, the looker can contact you with no problems at all. The bikes I have sold via this route recently, I've been able to have full indepth conversations and send loads of extra photos direct to their email and have built up a good relationship with them before they came to see the bikes .
I always take bank transfers.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal