Author Topic: E10 petrol  (Read 1358 times)

Offline peterengland

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
E10 petrol
« on: July 03, 2021, 08:48:29 AM »
It seems our bikes are not compatible with this stuff but is my understanding correct that they will still sell the super grade? and will all stations stock it I wonder...
Suzuki 50
Suzuki GT185
Honda CD175
Yamaha RD350
Honda 50 crunch box
Honda 400/4
Honda 550/4
Honda 750C

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: E10 petrol
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 09:11:47 AM »
I read an article a couple of years ago, that when fuel went to E5, Shell stated that it meant up to E5, not a minimum. I also saw a quote from Shell that their 'super duper' was ethanol free, I always use Shell super in my 'best' bikes and have had no problems whatsoever.
Maybe it will be clarified, minimum E10 or up to ?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »
It seems our bikes are not compatible with this stuff but is my understanding correct that they will still sell the super grade? and will all stations stock it I wonder...

I believe the main problem is with seals & none metal  pipework on cars & bikes Super Unleaded is the way to go.

Interestingly one of the reasons for the extra Ethanol content was to help the environment - it's a fact that fuel consumption is increased by the move from 5% to 10% ??
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 09:41:13 AM »
Yes it's up to E10 content, same with E5. Up to six months ago BP Ultimate in the North West contained no Ethanol at all (the rest of the country may have Ethanol depends on the distribution centre). I have personally been testing this on an annual basis and can verify that is correct. I will test BP Ultimate again when E10 takes over, my guess is that it will go to E5. Ethanol is a big no no on our bikes for the reasons given above.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline peterengland

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 10:03:36 AM »
Looked at this on the net and it says the bikes will 'run' on E10 but with 'reduced driveability in cold weather'
Suzuki 50
Suzuki GT185
Honda CD175
Yamaha RD350
Honda 50 crunch box
Honda 400/4
Honda 550/4
Honda 750C

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 10:18:04 AM »

I believe the main problem is with seals & none metal  pipework on cars & bikes Super Unleaded is the way to go.

Interestingly one of the reasons for the extra Ethanol content was to help the environment - it's a fact that fuel consumption is increased by the move from 5% to 10% ??
It also absorbs water. Over a winter lay up the water from the atmosphere sinks to the bottom of the tank and rots it away. After 3 to 4 seasons of that your looking for a new tank. Suzuki tanks are the worst for that as they use very thin gauge steel, Honda's are quite a bit thicker. That's why a lot of new cars have plastic tanks.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline 4wDaz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 10:40:06 AM »
Ethanol can be removed, theres loads of youtube videos about it, not ideal I know but it is one solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9mLbuUSt-0
Genuine And Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts Supplier

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 12:21:31 PM »
We covered this about 5 years ago in this thread.   Removing Ethanol with the Ethanil kit. (sohc.co.uk)

Since then I haven't had to use the kit as BP Ultimate in my area has remained Ethanol free. I now use the container as a very expensive Jerry can with the added plus of being able to easily see what's in it. Another problem was adding water to the petrol is actually exactly what you don't want to do as it's very difficult to get all the water back out again. Hence you are doing just the same damage as the Ethanol was doing, as far as the water problem is concerned.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 12:24:54 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

amx1992

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 02:28:59 PM »
If you live in the south, Power petrol stations are still selling E0 at the moment

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 03:55:14 PM »

It also absorbs water. Over a winter lay up the water from the atmosphere sinks to the bottom of the tank and rots it away. After 3 to 4 seasons of that your looking for a new tank. Suzuki tanks are the worst for that as they use very thin gauge steel, Honda's are quite a bit thicker. That's why a lot of new cars have plastic tanks.

After having to replace the Petrol Tank on my old Yamaha XJ900 I started to use Wynns Dry fuel every winter lay up. Mercedes & BMW have been using plastic tanks for some years. Our Merc was made in 1997 - its a plastic tank - they say it is better in a crash as it deforms further than steel before it splits.

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
Our Esso Super says E5 but is E0 for now. Worth doing some digging on corporate web sites or asking their customer support people as localities vary. Ethanol water lightly rusted my tank which I had to line.
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 09:12:06 AM »
In another club I'm in , for older bikes, a number of members add a splosh of two stroke oil in the fuel. It burns off no problem and owners say they never experience rusting or stale fuel. Others say Castrol R is very effective, but it's also very expensive !
For winter, it's a case of completely empty the carbs and fuel tank, or, fill the tank right up so there is no condensation room. Bikes I don't empty I add a measure of Briggs and Stratten fuel fit, it's for storing lawnmowers for a long winter. It works a treat.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 09:32:14 AM »
The problem with filling to the top, especially in a damp garage, is it will still absorb moisture from the air. To make matters worse it can overflow your tank all over your nice candy paint. If that happens under a cover that's not removed for 4 or 5 months again your tank is toast. I like the Briggs and Stratton thing though, that's definitely worth a look into.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 10:36:33 AM »
https://www.wynns.co.za/product/wynns-dry-fuel/

In my experience it does what it says on the bottle.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 08:56:02 AM »
"add a splosh of two stroke oil in the fuel"

Running different devices with and without premix two stroke oil I feel that the mix definitely has better preservation qualities than straight petrol with virtual absence of system corrosion.  Probably the easiest and most cost effective initial step to consider if you do nothing else.

That's with generally available and almost exclusively E5 Fuels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal