Author Topic: Neutral switch seal question ?  (Read 462 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Neutral switch seal question ?
« on: July 10, 2021, 12:34:00 PM »
Firstly am I right that the neutral switch is effectively a spring ended earth connection that illuminates the light when the node on the gearshift tumbler touches the switch allowing it to earth.

Secondly is there a cheaper alternative to the DS part at a hefty £4.57 for an O ring ?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Neutral switch seal question ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 02:28:05 PM »
Yes and yes if you know the size but maybe not as a lot of suppliers have a £10 min

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »
Yes and yes if you know the size but maybe not as a lot of suppliers have a £10 min

I guess they have to be hot oil proof as well just seems blatant profiteering somehow - yes DS is not run for charity but my guess they cost less tha 15 p each - not a bad mark up.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 06:29:52 PM »
Contact Julie as, she has thousands of o'rings  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 08:51:59 PM »
Not for a genuine part, ask your local dealer quoting the part number

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 08:01:20 AM »
Hi Ted. You and I, and probably many others on this forum, are all within a similar age group. This means we can probably remember going to the shops to buy a newspaper for your dad and paying about a penny ha'penny or tuppence for it, a little different nowadays!  The costs of running a business in these times is beyond belief, so I think that we should be grateful that we can still obtain so many genuine parts for 45 year old vehicles. I ride a 400, and to keep my grey matter operating have got hold of a USA import CL160, 55 years old. Some of the parts I've purchased have been in Silver's American establishment, and as long as I'm prepared to wait a couple of weeks (usually less), they are obtained at no extra cost. I read the cost of getting your cases helicoiled and thought that you got an absolute bargain. Restoring any old vehicle is not going to be cheap, I'm sure if any of us were brave enough to add up what we have spent on this hobby we would turn into blubbering wrecks! But it's our hobby, and that's why we do it. A roof over your head, food in the larder, and a couple of cases of beer to use as a stool in the workshop. Magic. Be Happy and stay safe everyone.
I guess they have to be hot oil proof as well just seems blatant profiteering somehow - yes DS is not run for charity but my guess they cost less tha 15 p each - not a bad mark up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal