Author Topic: Head bearings that actually fit?  (Read 497 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Head bearings that actually fit?
« on: July 13, 2021, 10:34:31 AM »
Having moved house, and actually got a GARAGE .... it's time to get my act together and start the rebuild of my long stalled project.

That means getting the forks and wheels on, so I have a complete rolling chassis so I can dry-build the big bits. I have already bought one head bearing kit...only to find it simply did not fit.

The bearings were the correct diameter for the stem, top and bottom...and hte bearing cups fitted the headstock just fine. Trouble was, with everything properly home....the stem would not go through far enough to actually do more than just catch the threads on the stem nut. No way was I going to try and progress that.... And whilst I had fitted the seal/washer..it was sitting over the stepped lower bearing and not stopping the lower from sitting tight to the lower yoke. Besides...to actually fit the upper nut right onto the thread, I was going to need to find about 10mm .....and thats not a bearing seating issue. After I removed the parts....I tried building up the stace various ways, and couldn't see a solution. So scratch that.

so my dilemma is simple.... .I need to buy another set of bearings...but I want to get one that fits, not one that will give me the same run around and hassle I have already had.
I prefer taper roller bearings..... but as an absolute last resort.... I could pay £66 and get an original set of cup/cone bearings and balls from Silvers. It's twice the price of most of the taper roller sets, but I guess it guarantees a fit.

Are there other reliable options for my F2 that will fit?
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal