Author Topic: After market contact breakers  (Read 588 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
After market contact breakers
« on: July 16, 2021, 06:53:10 PM »
I have fried my electronic ignition somehow, my CB400F2 has been in a workshop getting some electrical issues sorted that had been made worse by me trying to do it for myself lol. I've yet to check if I'm compatible with the system offered by DSS but I may consider reverting to contact breakers anyway. Given the whopping price difference between after market and Genuine Honda contact breakers I want to ask has anyone any experience to share about quality of DSS after market contact breakers?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: After market contact breakers
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »
I have a Boyer system for my CB400F but before I converted got some aftermarket ones from webmoto and they did not fit correctly

So had to use the originals till I fitted the Boyer system

Best wishes Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 07:44:03 PM »
Some years ago I purchased a new pattern backplate already fitted with points, condensers etc. The slots in the backplate were not quite right meaning I couldn't get exactly the same timing for 1/4 and 2/3, had to be a compromise.  My first journey out with it finished with me returning home on the back of an RAC truck! Only firing on 1 and 4. Started engine with points cover removed and it looked like firework night. Returned item to DSS who did a swap for 2 sets of OE points without question, which I fitted to the original backplate which I had kept. Still running ok even now. That's been the only problem I've ever encountered with purchases from DSS, I think it's worth the extra to get OE if you can manage it. Restoring old vehicles has never been a cheap hobby, but it keeps our grey matter working. Hope this puts me in good stead, as I'm trying to resurrect a CL160! Stay Upright.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
OE without a doubt. All our Honda 4's are using original points still.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 08:50:44 PM »
On cars back in the 1960's when everything had CB points the aftermarket ones usually lost their gap within days of fitting due to wear on the heel - I don't believe it was that it was a softer material but that the plasticky heel was a rough cut end that wore quickly until the heel surface smoothed out to the contours of the lobes.

We used to set the points on Vauxhalls a few thou too wide on service knowing that they would bed in very quickly - the use of a Dwell angle meter was too accurate for this purpose. As I recall the thickness of a Fag Packet worked on the roadside as well as any feeler guage.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 09:04:36 PM »
Faced with some of the answers here I'll pay for OE then if I go down that path. I must try to find out why I'm having electrical issues though. Could the ignition fried itself as a matter of age, I have no idea how many decades old it is. I had a new harness fitted a while back but not all colours matched. I also discovered an earth wire in the front right indicator stem that isn't standard.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 09:14:23 PM »
electronics hates reverse voltage and if that happened acidentaly that's your problem. everything is built with and average "life" and a lot better it but some fail early

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 10:51:38 PM »
I fitted a complete DS aftermarket backplate/points/condensors when I rebuilt my 750k2 abot 3000 miles/6 years ago. No issues with fitment but had to replace both condensors within last 500 miles
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 08:20:49 AM »
I have had two different complete back plates from DSS and both were in the bin in under 500 miles. So go with OE or a new electronic. All my bikes are on electronic ignition now as I'm too bloody lazy to keep setting points. ;D  I have no complaints about any of the electronic system fitted DSS, Boyer, Charlies Place, or Dynatek.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 10:53:18 AM »
Most aftermarket are pants including  Daiichi... even though millions of that make around and made in Japan evidently.

If you fit OEM Hitachi, Denso or Kokusan points and condensers then , in my view,  normal 'Kettering' style points system is fine for the minuscule mileages that most classics do.

Anyone know if Fuji points are any good?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal