Author Topic: Classic bike breakdown cover  (Read 708 times)

Offline oldtuggie

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Classic bike breakdown cover
« on: July 18, 2021, 11:09:14 PM »
Hi
Has anybody got Classic bike breakdown cover and if so which company do you use.
I want it for my 76 550 f1 supersport but can't get any cover off the big companies because of the age of the bike.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Classic bike breakdown cover
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 11:15:04 PM »
It is included with my insurance,

Peter James.

Needed it twice in about 5 years,

Puncture the one, broken ignition cable the other,

Took me home,

90 miles and 65 the other

One was a private contractor, the other was AA.

most classic insurance includes it.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:06:36 AM »
We use Autoaid Personal Policy. It covers every vehicle that either myself or Graham is riding / driving and anyone else's vehicle we are on/ in as a passenger. I opt for the vehicle of any age option so it covers all the old bikes.
None of our insurances for the bikes are on 'classic' policies, they are just 'normal' polices and I opt to not have insurance breakdown cover with the policies.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Charlie J

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 08:26:35 AM »
I use the RAC which covers me for any vehicle as a driver/rider or passenger.  I'd never bothered with breakdown cover during 45 years on the road The first year came free when I bought a new bike a couple of years ago. I had a puncture miles from anywhere in the Cambrian Mountains and the RAC came to the rescue so I decided to continue with the cover. It costs £75 pa

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
I insure with Footman James and it's included as part of the Policy, Europe - wide.

I've made two calls in some 20 years. On one occasion the AA attended, the other the RAC. The AA operator estimated four hours to reach me (on the main A11 dual carriageway near to Thetford, Norfolk). I saw a passing patrol van and flagged it down and, luckily he carried a fold - up bike trailer and was able to take me the 20 miles or so home. The second time, the RAC were much quicker on the scene (around 30 minutes) though said that they would need to call a recovery service to transport me and the bike a similar distance (20 miles). As I was on dealer premises and  knew staff there well, they offered to move us to home using their delivery van, because as the Sales Manager said: "You don't want a bike like that strapped to a flat - bed lorry".

One thing that I make a habit of following policy renewal or a change of bike is to call the breakdown service provider and check that the correct bikes are registered with them. On one occasion, they had listed a bike that I no longer owned and not added its replacement!

Offline Brian.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:20:28 AM »
+1 for Auto Aid Personal policy.  I've had to call them out twice over the years; once for my VFR750 and once for my car when one pothole burst two tyres. They give absolutely superb service just when you need it.

£60 a year, for whatever vehicles you have, and no age limit.  Vehicle age that is.  ;D

Brian.

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 11:18:24 AM »
Like Charlie mentioned above, it comes with a Footman James policy - never needed it myself, but a mate who is also with FJ used it when his RD500 seized up on a rideout they sent a RAC van with a foldup bike trailer stashed neatly in the van; I thought that was pretty cool, sadly the RD500 wasn't! ::) 

Bike cover also comes with my RAC cover for the Eurobox.
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 01:10:37 PM »
I get cover though my insurance, though I have used AA and rac in the past. All use sub contractors a lot. Of the Aa and rac I found rac better, they'd send recovery rather than fix whereas every time Aa insisted on sending out a repair guy - cue 2 hours wait, then he'd confirm it's not a roadside repair, cue 2 hours wait for recovery. A really irritating policy. Rac don't like sending recovery without a second oppinon but they can at least accept that a big hole in your piston and spark plug covered in molten alloy is not a roadside repair without sending a mechanic to verify it! Back when I used Carol nash, their recovery agent was about the only recovery driver who actually turned up with both the knowledge and skills to fix a bike, and a decently suited van, rather than a 16 foot flatbed. Wasn't a fixable breakdown though, gearbox was shot. BMW quality strikes again. Those old airheads got me very familiar with breakdown trucks. That driver said they carried more BMW motorbikes than anything else.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline oldtuggie

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 09:26:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies, just insured the bike so I think Autoaid sounds like the one for me

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »
Another +1 for Autoaid
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal