Author Topic: Lighter clutch and throttle  (Read 623 times)

Offline 550turnip

• View Profile
Lighter clutch and throttle
« on: July 21, 2021, 10:41:07 AM »
The the two main things that bug me about my cb550 k0 are the heavy clutch and throttle, cables are good and oiled so no problems there..do people user a softer spring the carbs, I have seen the apico easy clutch module online..has anyone had any luck with these...any other tips really appreciated.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Lighter clutch and throttle
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »
If they are genuine Honda cables, throw them away and buy new ones, as you say they are oiled, therefore they are knackered. Honda cables have a nylon liner, and if to oil them, the liner swells and can make the cable action stiff, some oils like WD40 can cause them to totally seize.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline 550turnip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 11:34:01 AM »
I will change the clutch cable and I am sure that will improve things, the throttle cable is new and it's still to heavy, it's annoying on an otherwise lovely bike

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
As above WD 40 is mineral oil and so are many other choices.

Silicone oil or grease should be used if anything is chosen.

The bearings within carb actuator assembly need to be particularly cleaned, free and lubricated.

The two metal curves coming out of twist grip have a nylon sleeve inside that you can inspect by pulling them out when off the bike. When worn they cut through with the cable (particularly pull side) and the friction that the sleeve was there to mitigate goes appreciably higher. This is more than likely on aged cables or not there on pattern part.

The twist grip has a proscribed "slack" specified in the Honda manual,  that's crucial in stopping the two cable binding each other especially when steering is turned and throttle used. You can check for this by swinging to each lock stop and trying the throttle for binding.  It will also cut those nylon sleeves (above) quickly if operating like that.

All things set correctly they aren't bad,  but compromised they can be bloody awful.

Offline 550turnip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 11:45:36 AM »
I most people would find my bike ok, it's me I am fussy..I just hate heavy throttles and clutches, the spring on the carbs feels way to strong..I am going to look at sourcing another and will install a new clutch cable and try the apico easy clutch..I will go through it all, I have just noticed there is no throttle return cable fitted

Offline 550turnip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
Thanks for all your help sohc jedi

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 12:24:00 PM »
I have just noticed there is no throttle return cable fitted
Someone has probably fitted a stronger throttle opening spring to make sure it snaps back closed without the return cable being fitted. I don't have a return cable on one of my 550/4's and I had to change the spring a couple of times to get the correct tension for opening and to snap closed. I got there though and the throttle is now perfect for me.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 01:50:40 PM »
....and try the apico easy clutch..

Hi, I tried one of them on my GL1000, whilst it did lighten the clutch a little it reduced the throw considerably to the extent that when the engine was warm it would clunk into first gear and make finding neutral difficult, ended up removing it.

Offline 550turnip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 06:23:13 PM »
Mmm....I might hold back on the apico then and try fitting a new cable first...thanks for the info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal