Author Topic: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4385 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 12:24:45 AM »
Hey I felt the same a few weeks ago - it passes keep :) SEE BELOW

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=65045.0

cheers ashD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »
Just read your post Ash, it does seem to happen to allot of us, the thing is when i used to rebuild bikes before i got into the internet, i just used to do the best i could with the bits i could find from auto jumbles and classified adds etc, it never used to bother me about getting perfection and i just used to go hell for leather and be at it all hours i could until bike was done ,
Now i try and achieve a good finish, and the arrival of the internet and joining these forums makes you raise the bar and try much harder, it is this i find stressful sometimes, as i want my rebuilds to look as good as other peoples, but allot of these guys have access to all sorts of professional tools plus money is no object, and allot of the jobs are farmed out to professionals, i tend to do everything myself (apart from powder coating) and i suppose it gets on top of me sometimes, but as i have mentioned i am starting again with a fresh outlook and better time and space management so hopefully there will be some upbeat progress to report on my rebuild thread soonish.
Pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »
I agree Pete  - people pay ridiculous amounts of money for parts - particularly for my K0, as you are fighting with Sandcast parts.
My mission it to document the parts, particularly electrical, as this is my field and pass it on via sites like these. Rather than pay 300 quid plus for a regulator, wiring harnesses, rectifier etc, start solenoid  switch I am refurbing my old ones with a view to a total strip and as near to new as possible. But remember it's not a competition!! It should be a relaxing hobby. You may be competing with perfectionists on these sites butwhen you take your finished bike out on a Sunday you will still get a warm glow when 'normal' people see it. The fact that odd bits may not be 100% original won't matter a jot to them.

Keep yer chin up mate  :)  

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
Ok i have a plan and i am thinking positively i made up a list for my white board, i will put each section of the below list on the board one at a time, and tick off when done , below are what i think is the remaining things to do, no doubt there are some forgotten bits but its a good start. and at the end of doing all these jobs comes the good bit of fitting it all together.

pete

Brakes Front & Rear
1) clean and prepare calipers and brackets
2) paint calipers and brackets
3) rebuild calipers with new parts
4) strip and clean front master cylinder
5) paint master cylinder
6 rebuild master cylinder with new parts
7) polish brake lever

Front forks
1) strip forks
2) clean parts
3) prepare fork lowers for paint
4) paint fork lowers
5) reasemble forks using new seals & oil

Front mud guard
1) remove and treat any rust
2) seal and paint underside
3) polish topside

Clocks
1) strip clocks
2) prepare for paint and mask up
3) spray clock casings
4) polish chrome lowers
5) prepare and paint brackets
6) reasemble

Seat
1) strip base and treat surface rust
2) prime and paint base and hinges
3) recover seat
4) fit tail unit and side rails

Tank
1) treat surface rust to underside and bottom edges
2) spray underside and touch in bottom edges
3) fit new tap and polish

Engine
1) drill and helicoil broken studs in cases
2) clean up cases
3) mask and spray cases
4) install new rings on pistons
5) hone bores
6) helicoil cam tower threads in head
7) resurface head
Cool fit new guides
9) grind in new valves
10) clean up head and respray
11) reasemble gearbox using new seals and 1194 sealant
12) reasemble pistons, barrels and head
13) reasemble cam tower, cam and rockers
14) reasemble generator
15) reasemble points
16) reasemble clutch
17) prepare and spray engine covers and rocker cover

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 12:13:21 PM »
Thats the way to do it - I have very similar list on the wall and it's great to see how much I have completed, rather than focus on what still needs to be done.

Yesterday I bolted on my handlebars and grips  & now with a tank & seat base in situ she finally looks rideable!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal