Author Topic: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4386 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »
I need some help or should i say a boost of motivation and perhaps encouragement, i took on my restoration project of a 750 F2 a few months ago and got stuck straight in with it, i have bought 99% of the parts needed and done a lot of the hard work, but i have run out of steam and reached a sticking point in the rebuild, it is almost leading me into a depression, i have no idea why but i have these big plans of what i am going to do to it i then go out into the garage to make a start only to have a look at it and then just walk away and leaving it to another day and so on the same thing the next day, and so it goes on and on.
I have sat down and had a long think on why this is happening, i can only pin point the cold weather as one main reason for the lack of enthusiasm, another is i have got  so many bikes and so much junk that the practibility of doing it all properly with room to lay everything out is just not an option at the moment, i am building a new storage area at the side of my house to gain some more room, i  am hoping that this may help,
Does any one else  get like this and just loose the momentum and interest, is there any advise or suggestions people can make to help me out hear as i am considering selling up all the bits and being done with it.
Pete

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »
I think that the weather has got a lot to do with your situation Peter...I get the same way with my shed. Then I go out for a ride & everything becomes clear....& it gives me the impetus to get other things done.
Get the beers in Peter, then i'll be round for a chat.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »
Don't worry Pete. Join the SOHC Procrastinator's Club (Chairman - SteveD CB500F!)

My 500/4 gearbox rebuild has taken over a year and the bike is still in the garage - I took it out for an MOT a couple of weeks ago.

It's too cold in the winter and in the summer there are much better things to be getting on with (like riding for one!)

Gearbox Blog
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:42:21 AM »
I am finding the same problem, it's like a freezing cave in my garage, OK i know that if I put on my blower it will heat up very quickly, but it makes no difference, I'm still not in there.
Also there is the old "How do you eat an elephant" question, so much to do, the answer of course is one bite at a time.
I went into the garage the other day and picked up the F2 headlamp,stripped it, de rusted it, repainted it, replaced all the little bolts and put it back together. Didn't have to spend any money and it wasn't taxing on the brain, but it was enjoyable, I could see that I had made a difference.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
As everyone else has said, it's a familiar place to be, especially when it is damn cold and seems to have gone on forever - time for spring to show itself.

Part of the problem with mine is that the wind howls down the drive towards the garage so I don't open the door when I'm working, which I would in nice weather so not only is it cold it's all a bit dark and dingy too.

But don't try and eat the elephant. Good advice there; set yourself a little task, and go to it. I know it's cold, but get the radio on, a hot cup of something, and take it a little at a time.

Alternately, don't beat yourself up about it. Take a break, put a cover over the bike, spend a bit of time labelling bits and tidying the workshop/shed and tell yourself you ain't doing anything on it until Easter, then you won't feel bad about leaving it alone. Then you'll come back fresh, everything neat and tidy, a plan will be burning away because you'll be ready to launch into it.

One of the joys of a project is that we aren't out there after midnight on a Sunday fixing it because we need to ride the thing to work in the morning! I'm glad those days are long gone...

Do it when you're ready, at the end of the day it's a hobby!

Phil

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »
I'm in the same boat as everyone else,  i have a 13x6 shed with 2 bikes in it and a lean to on the end of that up to my back gates that acts as a covered yard & theres 3 bikes in there  ::), so before i get started 3 bikes have to be moved outside and covered up if its raining,   then i can get 1 bike out of the shed to work on it  ;),   i sometimes have to rotate the bikes to work on them,  at the moment i have been working on my Suzuki GT750 doing the head gasket & yesterday changing the rear tyre so thats sorted for the year  8), my VTX 1300 doesn't need anything doing to it apart from keeping it clean  :D, my Black F1 750  has stripped a inner spark plug thread so the engine will have to come out for that to be done  >:( i'm going to sorn it at the end of the month and get round to it later in the year :-\, my 1970 CB750 is a rolling restoration and only gets used in the summer  :), i've just done the swinging arm bushes on it before christmas, it smokes a bit so probably needs new rings or a rebore but can be used as is, i may tackle it at the back end of the year?  & my purple & gold F1 parts bike never gets much attention its to good to break, stands me at nowt but i dont want to spend on it or i'll end up spending loads to sort it  :o, so don't give up Pete  ;) get your space sorted and make some room for your projects and just do a bit at a time springs only round the corner  8) good luck  :) cheers Mick.  

Offline hector2800

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:28:17 PM »
All of the above and then some. I especially like the do nothing till Easter attitude ;P
Go on you know you want to

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »
Sounds like you are still struggling for space Mick, do you still keep a couple of bikes in your van ?

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »
Yes good advise from all of you, i put the same post on the US sohc foum and also got some good advise, i have had a good think about this situation and have decided before i do anything else i am going to manage my space a bit better, i have made a start by building a lean too roof going down the side of my house and joining it up with my garage,that gives me some more dry area to use, i am also going to have a bit of a clear in my garage and workshop as there is nothing better than having it all neat and tidy,
when the space situation is under control i am going to tackle one bit at a time, say for example start on the front brakes and each time i go out to do something make sure if finish that bit even if it is only one small bit, then once i have a complete overhauled front brake assembly, i can move on to say the rear brake components, taking one small bit at a time until that is done,and gradually move through each part of the bike.
As well as the cold i have identified the other big problem, which is basically when i do something wrong or something breaks or i totally mess something up, it knocks my confidence and pisses me off so much that i cant get exited about doing anything else to the bike, and this feeling seems to last a long time, so i am now going to do everything as logically as i can and take my time and get it right first time so that i don't depress myself as i have been doing.

Yoshi when i have had a good clear up i will give you a shout and we will have a beer and a chat while looking at the mess i have got myself into.
Pete

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »
No problem Peter...just let me know.
Yamaha R1 2001
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Pete - I think we can all identify with where you are!

I'm building my 650 in the cellar so it is a bit warmer. Downside is the cellar is pretty small and once it's built I'll have to strip it down to get it outside!

I started fibreglassing a seat base the other week - until my wife and mother-in-law indicated (rather strongly!) that the fumes from my "project" were filtering throught the cellar floor and upsetting our new born! So there are perils in any workplace, no matter how warm it is.

When I'm feeling flat I do little bits and pieces, even as small as cleaning one or two nuts and bolts or degreasing a clutch lever and it's mount / pivots. I hate stripping and painting stuff but I stripped and  painted my yokes last year. Now I really need to strip and paint the frame but it's a big job and needs warmer weather; Instead I built the bike up and looked at the contrast between shiny, painted yokes and grubby frame and realised how cool it would look when done...gave me a lift to see that the effort involved in stripping and painting the yokes was so worthwhile - and it would be worth doing the frame too. I haven't done it yet but I'm looking forward to it - and when I do it will be a little bit at a time to get the paint off.  Kepp thinking "bite-sized chunks". It doesn't all need to be finished today.

Stick at it; look at other build threads; there's always loads of encouragement on here and usually someone who is goin through the same pain!
Andy
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
I build scale models and that is how I rebuilt the F1, working on one section at a time and treating it like a scale model, each section of the bike had the same attention to detail, I just kept putting overhauled pieces back on the shelf, until I had enough to start putting the bike back together.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »

I admit to spending those dark damp Winter evenings doing the same. I bought my first one a few years ago & it sort of reminds me that I like to play with the real thing that awaits me out in the shed. I have a Honda NR750 & a Ducati 888 waiting to be built. Used to do the Spitfires, Hurricanes, Dorniers, Shermans, Panthers, MTBs & Lola T70s, but I grew out of those...but still a big kid at heart.
Yamaha R1 2001
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »
Hello Den, yep i still chuck a couple in the back of the van when i know i wont be using it for a day or 2  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline SteadyEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:30 AM »
I am glad I have seen this thread as I felt as though I was the only one to lose motivation in this freezing weather, some bits arrived in the post and they are still on the kitchen side as i have not even ventured up the shed lately.
I removed my Harley from the shed last weekend so as i can get on with grinding and welding on the CB frame, ( if the sparks ignite the shed i don't want the Harley to burn down with it ! ) never got any grinding or welding done and the Harley is still covered up snug on the decking.
It's been a long hard slog so far but once the frame is ready it will be time to put the engine in and it will look like progress is being made, I must make the effort to get the frame finished. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal