Author Topic: Wheel rim original size & what make tyres to fit ?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel rim original size & what make tyres to fit ?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
Sorted they can now supply me with Dunlop or Avons. Thanks for the pointers to alternative suppliers.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Arfa

• View Profile
Re: Wheel rim original size & what make tyres to fit ?
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 11:31:20 AM »
Bit late for Ted I know, but might be useful for somebody else. I'm not fussed by having a ribbed front tyre so read this in that light.
I've used Avon Roadriders on a classic and one pre-war bike with good success covering 10s of thousands of miles in all weathers. I'm used to these tyres so they were an obvious fit on the 400/4 for me. 90/90 x 18 front 100/90 x 18 rear with no clearance issues with standard tinwear.  They do give a 7% increase in rolling diameter for the front and 1% for the rear according to my sums. Change in diameter appears to have no effect upon the function of the main and side stands. When I checked the speedo with my GPS it was fine anyway, might be different for another bike. Absolutely fine when riding from walking pace to flat out on all the surfaces I've been on. Bend swinging is no problem and I've had no problems with stability under braking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal