Author Topic: Wheel rim original size & what make tyres to fit ?  (Read 1407 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Wheel rim original size & what make tyres to fit ?
« on: August 02, 2021, 01:37:36 PM »
I've just checked my old wheels they are fitted with the following that look original as regards rims etc the tyres have never been used on the road.

Front Rim is marked DID 1.60 x 18 Tyre fitted is a 3.00 x 18 Pirelli Tyre MT65  marked for US only (made in Brazil) they have rotational arrow marking.

Rear Rim is marked DID 1.85 x 18 Tyre fitted is a 3.50 x 18 Pirelli Tyre MT65  marked for US only (made in Brazil) they have rotational arrow marking.

As they are for the US market I can't see any obvious year of manufacture. I will probably just keep these as spare wheels as they are.

I am fitting new alloy rimmed spoked wheels of the same size just need to take advice on tyre brands of choice these days - last tyres I bought were Metzlers on my XJ900.

What tyre makes are folk using here on the 400/4 & aspect ratio to keep as standard ?

tyre markings by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 02:53:45 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel rim original size & what make tyres to fit ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 07:13:43 PM »
Your tyre was manufactured the 39th week of 1995
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 07:44:17 PM »
 With the greatest respect Ted, the best thing for tyres which are 26 years old is a hacksaw cut right through them. I still have clear memories of a close friend of mine buying a used Suzuki Super Six which had been stood unused for just under two years. I watched as the rear tyre let go on him on a dry tarmac road. It will also enable you to see the condition of the rims on the inside. I always thought that my rims were in good condition, especially the rear one because it was kept rust free dut to chain lube fling. When I went to change the tyres, the insides of the rims were dangerously corroded. New standard size D.I.D. rims and spokes from Silvers, and to keep a fairly traditional look, I had Dunlop K82 tyres fitted. 3.00 x 18 front, and 3.50 x 18 rear. Classic tread pattern but modern rubber, and give enough grip for my antics, but at 74 years of age I think I'm probably more fragile than the bike now. Take care and have fun. Mike.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »
With the greatest respect Ted, the best thing for tyres which are 26 years old is a hacksaw cut right through them. I still have clear memories of a close friend of mine buying a used Suzuki Super Six which had been stood unused for just under two years. I watched as the rear tyre let go on him on a dry tarmac road. It will also enable you to see the condition of the rims on the inside. I always thought that my rims were in good condition, especially the rear one because it was kept rust free dut to chain lube fling. When I went to change the tyres, the insides of the rims were dangerously corroded. New standard size D.I.D. rims and spokes from Silvers, and to keep a fairly traditional look, I had Dunlop K82 tyres fitted. 3.00 x 18 front, and 3.50 x 18 rear. Classic tread pattern but modern rubber, and give enough grip for my antics, but at 74 years of age I think I'm probably more fragile than the bike now. Take care and have fun. Mike.

Thanks Mike,

For the tyre age information they are too old to use I did not know the tyre age code - I agree completely at 73 yrs of age I too feel vulnerable on anything but the best rubber.

I have been a little ambiguos in my post I have no intention of using my old wheels & tyres I am getting a new set of wheels made up by central-wheels.

I'm after advice as to the best all round tyre brand and the correct size fitted as standard, the tyres do not appear to have an obvious aspect ratio unless I'm missing something.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 08:56:50 PM »
"I'm after advice as to the best all round tyre brand and the correct size fitted as standard, the tyres do not appear to have an obvious aspect ratio unless I'm missing something."

The aspect ratio I think, in broad terms, is because they are likely the same height as designated rim width and make them 100% with no protocol to mark them as default.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 09:00:59 PM »
For my CB250/350K'S  (Same size as CB400F)  I just bought Heidenau classic style 3.50 x 18 rear and 3.00 x 18 ribbed Anlas for front to try to replicate originals. Unfortunately very little available 3.00 x 18 in terms of ribbed classic tyres to give the original look ... unless anyone knows differently.

It's a pity we can't get these

https://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=179_274_193_223&products_id=3103
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 09:10:04 PM »
Ash I think they look like the IRC Grand highspeed tyres that were on my 750 when I imported it.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 09:35:13 PM »
Online I see Avon & Dunlop make my sizes nothing from Metzler ?

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 11:00:24 PM »
Might also be worth looking at the new Michelin Road Classic tyres. I picked some up recently, and they feel pretty good. Been using Pilot Roads for years...from 2 to 5.....so I tought I would give their new classic tyres a go when I needed some old fashioned sized tyres.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 07:11:07 PM »
Hi Ted
I run Dunlop K82 's - not too expensive and ride well enough  for my limited summer mileage.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 10:03:22 PM »
Hi Ted
I run Dunlop K82 's - not too expensive and ride well enough  for my limited summer mileage.

I've been offered Dunlop K82 or Avon Road Runner 2 either @ £158 pair, or Metzlers @ £107 pair.
I liked the Metzlers on my XJ 900 they seemed good at resisting the overbonding wiggle!

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »
Yes you're right they can have a tendency to pick up a seam in road repairs a little bit!

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 03:29:54 PM »
Well dropped off my spare hubs today to get my wheels built at central wheel components.
I was advise that front  3.00 x 18 tyres of very difficult to get hold of - they tried to talk me into a slightly wider front rim but am reluctant to change it due to any clearance issues I might have ?

Anyone here know if its feasable to safely go slightly wider on the rim without issue on the mudguards etc , my rims are 1.6 x 18 Front & 1.85 x 18 Rear ?

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2021, 06:10:29 PM »
Vintage Tyres of Beaulieu have 3.00 x 18 Dunlop and Avons in stock

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2021, 08:20:01 PM »
Vintage Tyres of Beaulieu have 3.00 x 18 Dunlop and Avons in stock

Thanks I'll see where it goes for now as I have been dealing with Warren at the wheel place who said he coud supply Avons that he recommended but he is abroad so I saw Chris instead.
Might just be an internal issue. I'll certainly look at the firm you mentioned i did not want them to build wheels that I could not find a tyre for - much appreciated. Ted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal