Author Topic: DYNATEC HT Coils - Plug Leads - Plug Caps, opinions on compatible set ?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: DYNATEC HT Coils - Plug Leads - Plug Caps, opinions on compatible set ?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2021, 07:35:20 AM »
For me the radio suppression aspect of resisted HT systems is the lowest priority. Socially desirable  :) and often legislated, I can see the need.

Far more interesting from these engine's running strategy is the desirable effect it has within combustion quality.  Honda made a very benign, subtle ignition system that looks so very simple but with almost impeccable attributes for a mechanical system. It's difficult to even match it let alone significantly outperform it I feel.

One of the elements is how the spark event is distributed and lengthened to match what essentially is a moderately slow burning, medium compression ratio combustion chamber. But one that easily reaches 10, 000rpm with no apparent vices.

Interesting comment made here regarding the design and quality of the original Honda points system. In my time I have only ever owned Hondas, 175 - 750's My present 400 I've owned for 33 years, and all these bikes have run on original equipment ignition systems. Only once did I have a problem, and that was with a fully equipped pattern backplate I purchased to try and save a few pounds! I returned home that day courtesy of the RAC. If I can manage to master the art of attaching a photo here, it is the 3 points system used on the RC166 6 cylinder racer, which revved to 18,000RPM. If it's good enough for that, then it's good enough for me.
Deleting the points and condensers looks to compromise that (with the ds system there's no indication of characteristics) I'd assume isn't a match as most aren't.  System like Boyer appear to cover this aspect with multiple firing pulses, which are not claimed for simple systems.

It looks like the use of specific leads on the Dynatec system try to replace the Honda strategy in how the coils interact with the ongoing HT delivery,  for this part I feel that they need to run to spec in components.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2021, 09:47:00 AM »
Y'know, I haven't quite got to grips yet with the technicalities of sending computerised messages, my comments seem to have been inserted in the midst of the previous piece of information which I was responding to!!!
    Can you imagine me with electronic ignition?  At least I managed to attach the photo!! Regards, Mike.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2021, 10:32:52 AM »
Y'know, I haven't quite got to grips yet with the technicalities of sending computerised messages, my comments seem to have been inserted in the midst of the previous piece of information which I was responding to!!!
    Can you imagine me with electronic ignition?  At least I managed to attach the photo!! Regards, Mike.

It appears easier to me to use Flickr then just copy & paste the BBCode - you can even change the picture size within the BBCode menu - I have the memory of a Goldfish (the castle is a surprise every time it swims around the bowl!) and manage it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:57:21 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 10:44:57 AM »
TrickyMicky
 "Interesting comment made here regarding the design and quality of the original Honda points system. In my time I have only ever owned Hondas, 175 - 750's My present 400 I've owned for 33 years, and all these bikes have run on original equipment ignition systems. Only once did I have a problem, and that was with a fully equipped pattern backplate I purchased to try and save a few pounds! I returned home that day courtesy of the RAC. If I can manage to master the art of attaching a photo here, it is the 3 points system used on the RC166 6 cylinder racer, which revved to 18,000RPM. If it's good enough for that, then it's good enough for me."

Seperated it out for you, you've got to type your comments outside the "quote brackets" to leave the quote intact with your comments then following.

I know that because I too did the same when originally participating on forum  ;D it's very easy to do. 

The ignition system in electronic form is something that the designer has to bring into being to mimic that original, with many not really knowing the subtle intricacies of that which they are trying to copy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal